1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap pin on back of headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HotBottomEnd, Nov 18, 2006.

1. HotBottomEnd

HotBottomEnd

Oct 10, 2006
    I've seen this on various fender basses.

Why is this pin on the back of the headstock? What purpose does it serve? You wouldn't actually mount a strap on it would you?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

:confused:

:bassist:

2. it was done on old fenders to allow db players to play bg without much adjustment, you just had to use a really long strap

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I thought they only did that on acoustic guitars :confused:

Could it be to hold the neck up higher?

4. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Don't do it!! :eek:

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    They used it on old fenders.
    Why?

I don't know. I guess it was a preference thing. I'm going to add one to my Squier P just for looks. I'm also getting flats, and a pickup cover.

All this is when I buy a new bass.

6. I always thought that was a spare strap button, in case you lose one by jamming too hard

7. I actually thought you could strap it up so I tried and the strap got in the way of the bottom 2 tuner heads [E & A], detuning them in the process.. I'm pretty sure it's not ment to be used the normal way we play bass. =)

8. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    In addition to getting in the way of the tuners, it would also put undo stress on the neck and the neck/body joint. If you think the button looks cool, fine, just don't use it for your strap.

9. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I think Fender is doing this now on reissues, but does anybody know what year Fender stopped this on the older basses? I think all 60's basses have it, but not sure if they continued in early 70's or even if the last few years of the 60's had them. Can someone clarify?

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    My guess it is an option to prevent neck dive.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I never actually saw one of these up close like in the picture above. I always thought it was just some kind of washer or somehting for the screw for the string tree.

12. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    That's a really good idea. Pass me a drill, kids.

13. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    It's so you can suspend your weed bag from it so no one taps ya while you're playing. Very thoughtful provision.

14. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    i concure

15. i've heard/read somewhere that Fender used to put nails in the back of the headstock when drying necks after paint, in a similar fashon to what they did on the bodies of their early guitars. The guitar body nail holes got covered up by the pickguards, but since the back of a headstock didn't get a pickguard, they just put a strap button there.

16. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    It's the Hootinanny Strap button. I think there was a hole for the Pin Router on the back of the headstock. You G&L guys might still see the small mark on the back of your headstocks.

17. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario

Correct answer, in the day, the cheapest way to hide this was with a strap button. Thus most vintage reissues have this anomoly - to be period authentic, it was never inteneded to be used to support the bass.

18. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    "In 1960, Fender added the strap button to the back of the Jazz and Precision headstocks. (Traditional players used this button to help strap the bass vertically, allowing them to play as they were accustomed in their transition from doghouse to electric bass.) By 1969, the button disappeared, creating yet another Fender mystery." From The Fender Bass by Black and Molinaro.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender's American Vintage Series reissues (57/62) started production back in 1982, and they had those buttons then.

The original basses started wearing those buttons from late 1959, and discontinued by mid 1968.

20. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    it's like the extra button that comes sewn to your shirt...down there all the way at the bottom...you know, an extra collar button and an extra cuff/shirt button :D