Strap Position

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Oct 2, 2004.

1. How far up or down is your bass when you strap it on?
    My bass is directly over my stomach. For some reason I can play better when its lifted up more. So where is yours?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the bass. Usually around waist.
  3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I go by what both Stu Hamm and Norm Stockton say. It goes something like this....

When you practice, you are usually sitting down with the bass on your knee. Now, in order for practice to be effective and for muscle memory to work properly, the bass should be in the same position when you play standing up. Otherwise the angles of your arm, wrist, fingers, etc.. are all different, and you probably wonder why you can't play those 16th note scales @ 160 BPM like you could when you were practicing. So, what I do is this, sit down wearing your bass like you would be practicing. Set the strap in this position. Stand up and the bass shouldn't move (much). This is your ideal position.
  4. BassWhore..... you're so smart!
    (not being sarcastic... honest)
  5. 20 years ago, I'd sling it down close to my knees.

Oh we're talking about the BASS, oops... :eyebrow:

Seriously, though, now I keep the strap pretty short. Now that I'm getting to be an old fart, it's much easier on my wrists to have the bass up higher.
  6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I wish I came up with it. Learn from the Pro's :)
  7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I just wear it where i can still reach the high notes with out too much trouble, and where I can keep my arm somewhat straight. I think it's just a dash below the waist.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What Basswhore said exactly!
  9. Where is my strap? I like my straps down low!!!
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Depends mostly on what Im playing.

Lower around the hips for fast hard stuff, and higher for groovier stuff.
  11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'm with Basswhore, except when I am playing my Artcore. That gets played a little lower due to the lack of contouring on the body.

12. I put the bass normally where my right hand hangs naturally. Seems easier to me, that way I can rest my picking hand.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I wear my bass pretty high. When I practice, I usually slouch over a bit so I can see better, so I try to get my bass in the same position when standing. Currently my strap length from hole to hole is 35".
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends. Either fairly high, or around my hips. Depending on the music. If it's cro-mag rock, it's low. If it's more tech stuff, up comes the bass.
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I always keep it so it's in the same position either sitting or standing. My muscle memory is stubborn and won't have it any other way.
  16. I always try to practice standing up. When I'm sitting and playing, I'm usually more in exploratory mode and thinking less about mechanics.

I used to wear my strap hella low, when I played heavy music. Trouble is, difficult passages are *REALLY* difficult to play when you've got your bass strapped around your knees! I had a lot of left hand problems.

Now I play with the E string about level w/my belly button. If I move it up too high I start to have right hand issues.
  17. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I keep my strap at about waist level, I have long arms so Im ok with the length, and when I practice I usually practice it sitting to get it down then when I know the song I play standing up to get used to the difference.
  18. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.