Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap Problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by John-Paul666, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Im not sure if this is the right place or not. But can anyone suggest a very comfy bass strap to wear hours on end?

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'd go for Moody - expensive, but the best. Do a search in the Miscellaneous forum for more info.

3. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah, Moody or Levy's, the wider the better.

Yes, they're expensive. But either one will last forever and you'll never bitch about your strap again.

Only slightly OT, I have a suspicion that the lower you wear your bass, the more pressure you get on your shoulder. The logic behind this is that if you wear your bass up higher, it pulls more forward and less down, spreading more of the load across your back.

I do know that since I started wearing my bass higher (about 2 or maybe 3 inches higher than is shown in my avatar photo) I have less shoulder pain.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    :eek: :eek: $200.??????

For THAT kind of money...the cow it came from better be chopped up and sitting in my freezer.

I'll take a ComfortStrapp thank you.

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Why is it that when somebody mentions a high-end piece of gear, it's the MOST EXPENSIVE variant that's instantly latched onto?

:scowl: :eyebrow:

The entry level standard-length Moody is $127. Which isn't all that bad if you think of it as a one-time investment that will last you the rest of your life if you take care of it. Which it will.

http://www.moodyleather.com/strap4inch.aspx

The equivalent Levy's (M4GF, 3-1/2" wide) is about $40. The Moody's is way nicer, though.

I also came across this, but don't know anything about them. They look good, though:

http://www.italiastraps.com/ss_4gallery.html

Nothing against the Comfort Strapp, but *anything* made of nylon, neoprene and plastic is guaranteed to wear out or break eventually. It's just the nature of the beast.

FWIW, I don't have a Moody. The strap I've got is *probably* a Levy's...it came with my bass and I can't tell who made it. There are comparable straps in the Levy's catalog, but not one that's exactly the same. Assuming the former owner bought the strap new when the bass was made, it's now eight years old and going strong. All leather, good stitching, double-thickness ends (the cheaper nylon straps have a single layer of leather on the ends, and I have seen these tear), padded. Very comfy. No sliders to slip or buckles to break. No plastic.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc. etc.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    A less expensive alternative is SlapStrap which is an all leather strap that is wide and adjustable. I am really happy with mine. When I get the money I am getting a Moody for the exact reasons stated by adouglas.

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Comfort Strapp is great and it moves and stretches with the bass as you rock out. Get the extra long model. I've had one for a few years now and it's holding strong. Three hour gigs are no problem.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Actually...that wasn't the most expensive strap that I latched onto. There are others that cost more....

As a guy thats owns a Sadowsky and has been known to pay upwards of a hundred bucks for a preamp tube...it does seem a little hypocritical to bust someone for a high end strap but...I don't know...it just kind of took my breath away pricewise. I had no idea you could spend THAT kind of coin on a hunk of hide unless it was a pair of endangered species cowboy boots.

If you want it...and can afford it...I say, go for it! You only live once.

ComfortStraps ain't perfect. If you gig a lot...they have a nasty habit of picking up nasty bar smell. It's one thing if the carpet on your cabinet stinks but the strap is pretty close to the ol' nose bone....

9. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    We play outside mainly, so no bar smell. The only funky smell it picks up is me!

10. I just picked up a strap made by Stephi. It's black suede (I love black suede :p), nice and wide, and has a padded stuffing in the part that sits on your shoulder. I think I paid $40 CAN for it, and one of the best purchases I've made, I believe. My only gripe is that the leather is so thick that I can't use the washers on my Schaller strap locks.

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I quite like the Martin woven cloth strap with leather ends, $25 at the local shop.

12. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
  13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Levy's padded black leather, bout 3.5" wide. Something like $38 from Guitar Center and helps a LOT!

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah, my milage varied quite a bit: I've been using a pair of Comfort Strapps since 1997, still wear them every day. Included in that time, I worked a house gig in the French Quarter in New Orleans - 18 months of 5 nights a week, 6 hours a night, and toured for 2 years with Tito Puente Jr., among other gigs. The straps are both still going strong. I've had leather straps that wore out in a year or so, and cost me MORE than the Comfort Strapps did.

I will admit that bikertrash is somewhat correct, they can get a bit skanky from the smoky bar smell, but they don't pick up my body funk at all...they just let me do my finger funk in comfort.

Oh, and the extra longs are TOO long for anyone to use unless they are in a Ramones tribute band. I suggest the long for most "average heigth" guys, and the real geeks like me get the short one....

15. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    You didn't mention what kind of strap you had or how it failed...but here's a general note about leather straps...

If you get a strap made of a single layer of leather (as opposed to multiple layers sewn together) it will tend to tear at the holes, just like a cheap Wal-Mart belt.

If you choose leather, look for high quality hides, multiple lines of stitching around the stress areas (where the tail strap loops through and at the strap button holes) and overall good workmanship.

16. I use a Levy's MSS90 for my Stingray and I love it. Beautiful black carving leather strap...would hold a tank and it's 3 1/2 inches wide. Sweet. It cost me $55 and took a while to get but it's worth it. I use a Levy's PM32 for my Geddy and thta one is 2 1/2 inches wide, black garment leather. That one cost me like $35....both are excellent straps and will last forever.