1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strap question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbmember, Aug 31, 2008.

1. tbmember

tbmember

Aug 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm of the weaker gender and need some good advice. My bass has the strap affixed to the cutout, and it's seeming to kill my neck more often than not. Does anybody every attach the strap to the headstock instead? I think the weight might be better distributed that way, maybe?

2. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Never done that, but have you tried the Fender Lite P? I haven't played one, but I've heard they have good tone, just lighter in weight...

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You might need to get a wider strap, or something like the Slider Strap, which distributes the weight equally on both shoulders.

4. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1. A well-designed strap is worlds better than your average $15 Guitar Center special made of thin nylon and with some flashy design on it. That said, there's only so much a strap can do -- if a bass is too heavy for you, a strap can only take off so much of the perceived weight unless you get some weird design that goes over both shoulders or hooks onto your belt.

5. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Play sitting down? :p It's what I do.

6. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    +1 .. wide straps rule. I try to only use 4" wide straps these days. My shoulder thanks me.

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ

From your description, the edge of the strap is digging into your neck. A wider strap wouldn't help much. I take it you want to change the angle of the strap as it runs down to the horn of the bass by using a longer strap that attaches to the headstock (similar to an acoustic guitar or Hofner bass). That would work if you found a strap long enough and had string or leather strips at the neck end. Check with your local leather shop to see about having one made.

Slider straps as mentioned previously might also help. Here's a link to show you what they look like. http://www.activemusician.com/item-...P&ovcpn=Accessories&ovcrn=Slider+Guitar+Strap

8. tbmember

tbmember

Aug 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Right on. I think I need the strap to angle more toward the headstock than digging into my neck. So it isn't unheard of to have a strap come from the headstock of a bass?

That slider strap looks very helpful. I wonder how they get those on. :) Well, thanks for taking me seriously, and tomorrow I'm going to my friendly pickin parlor where they've got lots of nice soft leather straps. I'll look for a long one with strings at the end. Thanks to you all!

9. baleyasprs

baleyasprs

Aug 14, 2008
    Don't feel bad. We men can always use help! *laughs*

It's your bass, do what works for you.

I was also going to suggest the backpack-style strap like Hawaii Islander did.

10. Try a Planet Waves Chopper, very comfy strap