Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slicecom, Oct 22, 2004.

1. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    What do you people use for straps? I need to get a new strap for my bass (my dad stole my beautiful gel strap and i cant find another one anywhere now!). Any reccomendations? Every music store i've gone to so far only carries "levy" straps!

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
  3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    The $5.00 straps will get you by if you have strap locks but they will wear on your shoulder after about 30 minutes. A better choice would be anything wider than 3 inches and padded if possible. I have both the cheap thin straps (ouch) and several other wide ass leather straps. The wider the better usually. The opposite of women! :smug:

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +1 Comfort Strapp

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've got a comfort strapp, which is really nice, but i've also got a couple levy's leather straps that are really my faves...i use them on my n/t thumb 6 string and my euro spector, which are heavier (i see you play a spector as well...nice)...i also have a kepur 5.zero on my zon, which is nice as long as the bass you're putting it on is not too weighty...the kepur would probably never fall off of any strap button...those things are tougher than hell, and they're completely synthetic if you're into vegan stuff

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Comfort Strapp if you play your bass up high, or a Brooklyn Gear padded strap if you play low. Their both the same basic design, but the Brooklyn Gear allows me to play my bass lower, which I'm more comfortable with.

7. CabbageStabbage

CabbageStabbage

Oct 11, 2004
    Ottawa
    I have a leather strap, it's much better than a cloth strap. I agree that the wider the strap, the better, because the weight is distributed through a wider area in your shoulder.

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have 3 straps I mainly use...
    one is a wide leather Fender strap (usually use it with my RB5)
    I have a Comfort Strapp which I use for my MTD (I don't know why I have the padded strap on the lighter bass :p)
    and I use a Martin wide leather strap for my acoustic guitar, they're all pretty much equally comfortable, although the padding on the Comfort is a great touch.

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have one of those Neotech Super Bass straps which is a significant improvement over the nylon, padded strap I was using. But after trying out a Comfort Strap, I think they are even more comfortable than the Neotech. So another vote for the Comfort Strap.

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1 for levy, a nice wide, padded, leather one.

11. I have a 3" wide Levy leather strap with padding. I like it a lot.

12. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I've had a Comfort Strapp and liked it, but to be honest I favor the Neotech Super Bass Strap which I believe Musician's Friend sells. Just about as comfortable, IMO, and slightly less springy. And I'm not fond of the ends on the Comfort Strapp, as I use strap locks and that little extra length of strap end that you're supposed to double back on the button was always in the way. Can't go wrong either way, though.

13. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I have a 3" wide levy, 1 leopard and 1 zebra print.

14. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    im personally a fan of the two inch di marzio locking straps with the clips and seatbelt material. I like how they feel on my shoulder, theyre very secure, and i can move my bass around a lot which is necessary for me. I probably would go for a comfort strap except that i need something that can move and from what i hear the padded straps pretty much stick to your shoulder.

15. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

+1 for Comfort Strap.

I just received a 4" leather strap from Moody .

www.moodyleather.com

Its a very beautiful strap and very comfortable....

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    comfort strap

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Currently-i'm playing a Levy's M6 [the 3.5 inch wide one w/the sheep skin lining/padding on it] that is black. I've had it for the past 3-4 years. I like it very much. I've put schaller strap locks on all of my basses-so i just leave a set connected to the strap and all is well in my bass kingdom.

Those moody straps look comfy and the visual appeal isn't bad either. If they weren't roughly double what i paid for my Levy's-i'd be a lot more interested. Maybe for my next strap i'll get one of those. :)

edit: just looked through their website a bit more. First time i can remembering having GAS for a strap. I dig the black and dove colored straps.

18. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    +1

and yes, MF does sell them....

19. Iono...

I spend $30 on my strap. I went to guitar center and got one. Its got an awsome design on it. Extra padded and stuff. Just go to GC (if there is one somewhere around where you live) and you should be able to pick up a good one for $30.