strap recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by marc40a, Apr 24, 2003.

1. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    My criteria are:

At least 3 inches wide.

Fully adjustable - without having to take it apart.

Coarse enough not to slide around on my shoulder.

I have a 3 inch wide web strap that meets two of the criteria but it tends to slide around.

I also have a Levy's leather that meets two of the criteria but it's not adjustable on the fly. Sometimes my muscles need a break or I like to play w/ the bass higher if I've had some time off.

I was checking out those Planet Waves straps on the web. Are they rubber or suede near the shoulder strap? Grippy enough???

Any other suggestions would be appreciated - The cheaper the better.
  2. Get a leather or padded one, Make sure its pretty wide, and is a reasonable price. I dont know a specific brand but just goto ur local music store and look for that. Peace.
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Levi's makes a great wide leather strap.
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Comfort Strapp, about $30. Carvin deluxe wide strap, $12.95. I use both of these, I think the Comfort Strap will grip the shoulder better, but I have never had a problem with either.
  5. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I hear you guys about the Levy' I said I have one and it's great.

The thing is that I need something that's adjustable on the fly. If I want to adjust the Levy's I have to take off the strap locks and re-work the strap through the holes.

A killer combination would be a thick leather pad like the Levy's, attached to webbing w/ a sliding buckle like 90% of inexpensive guitar straps.

I adjust my strap all of the time depending on what feels good that day/night. It seems to wreak less havoc on my back and shoulder muscles than having the strap on the same way all of the time.
  6. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I've had a comfort strap in the past and I might try that again but I'd like to try something else out.
  7. I bought some stuff that I think is designed to keep rugs in place - its a rubbery mesh- available from hardware stores in various colours! I bought black(!) and glued it to the inside of my strap. The ends needed taping down periodically but my bass stays absolutely in place! I needed it on this bass as it was slightly head heavy and the strap was slippy. It also gives a slight cushioning effect.

I also have a Levys strap that is just the usual sliding buckle type system that doesn't need taking apart... but its furry and girly! I use this on a small steinberger that is well balanced.
  8. I have a Planet Waves bass strap that grips my shoulder quite well and is easily adjustable without taking anything apart. However, I really like my Levi strap. It is 3" wide, made of such soft, supple leather and is very comfortable. I use Dunlop strap locks and would have to remove the lock mechanism from one end to adjust the Levi strap though. I have the length set just right for me so adjustment is not a factor.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Levys does make some leather straps with the sliding pads for your shoulder. I don't know how wide they are, though. Another thought...get something like a Levys that has several holes at the end, and just use the different holes on the strap button. One of mine, I keep on the 3rd hole, then loop the excess back and put the first hole on the button...makes a nice little loop to guide my cord through. :D
  10. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    couldn't you just take a normal cheap strap and wrap it with something? then you would have the adjustability factor, and you could completely customize the width and material, and it would be cheap too.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Comfort Strapp is good shiznit... but they are uncomfortable as your balls in a blender if the bass is light...
  12. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I'd say, get a levis, Oh yeah. [​IMG]
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I just bought a new Levys this week. I am a great big gi-normous guy and needed a strap for my 12-string. Every strap in the store made it sit high on my chest like a ukelele. Levys makes a 12" longer strap as a special order. I got two.