Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strap suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eli M., Oct 25, 2004.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have had trouble looking for a bass strap and I need some recommendations. My main problem is that I like to wear my bass a little higher than most people do. In fact, the shortest setting on a standard Levy's leather strap is still too long for me. Here is what I need:
    -at least 2.5" wide
    -cotton, leather, or some other non-synthetic material
    -must be able to adjust under 44" (this is Levy's lower limit) - preferably down to 40"
    -not too expensive (let's say under $75) - I will be getting 2 straps
    -I'm fairly conservative when it comes to colors and designs - I don't want anything flashier than the bass is. I like neutral browns, tans, olive green, etc.
    -should not have a movable shoulder pad. I like my bass to stay put.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    maybe i'm just tired and grouchy, but this just looks like one of those " i want a ____ but am too freakin lazy to go find one myself. someone tell me where to get what i want" threads. what do we look like? a concierge service? all those specifics? come on dude.

i'll probably regret typing this after i get some sleep, and then send you a much deserved apology for being rude....

-Mike

3. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    No need, your tiredness speaks for itself :). I have, in fact, seen every website and Talkbass thread imaginable dealing with straps, and have been to all the music stores in my area, and have found nothing wide enough and short enough for my use. I sincerely do need help on this.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    well, i sent an apology anyway....i got some rest, and i feel better. i hope you find your 2.5" wide, non-synthetic, 40", inexpensive, olive colored strap with a non-movable shoulder pad.

lot's of dudes around here love the comfort strapp....however, i think it is made from synthetic material......very comfortable synthetic material i might add. :)

all kidding aside bro....best of luck. :)

-Mike

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I was all set to say "Comfort Strapp" until I saw the "non-synthetic" specification.

I am now once again, no help at all.

6. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Do what I did, get a nice Levy's strap, take it to a shoe repairman and get him to make a new hole higher up on the ajustable part. It'll cost you $5-10.

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    If you have a local leather worker. Have them custom made. I buy mine for around
    $20 each from a local craftsman. When you are my size 6' 3" 375 lbs you have to have then made to order. :rolleyes:

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Check these guys out. Great service, wonderful strap, reasonable cost and they made me a strap to a custom length (I like fixed length straps).

www.doubletreble.com

Mike DImin

9. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    After posting my original question, I realized this was an option. In fact, I noticed that some (if not all) Levy's leather straps already have a second hole for the strap button on the thin side of the strap. All I have to do is have the shoemaker cut off the extra length and finish it off.

10. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    DR (as in DR Strings) is marketing some very nice straps. I have a brand new bass strap available. It's black brushed leather, 3 1/2 wide, and I think it'll adjust to the length you need. PM me if interested.

Tom