Strap thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Well I've always used the 99cent-$2 straps with the plastic locking ends (cuz I'm a cheap bastard) and I'm thinking of getting a new strap with the leather ends and possibly buy strap locks. I'm just concerned about the leather ends breaking because you know how different weight-wise it is between guitars and bass guitars. Will this happen to cheap straps with leather ends?
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have never worried about leather ends breaking, but the hole will stretch a bit over time, allowing the strap to rotate easily and twist on itself. A twisted strap is annoying to me, but not a big deal. Someone have hints on eliminating that problem? One of my basses has locks, which does eliminate the problem, but it is a hassle if I want to remove the strap for any reason.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have an 11-year old Smith leather strap; still looks brand new. Wear around the holes is unavoidable (with any quality strap) unless you fit them with straplocks.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I dunno about "cheap" leather straps, but I bought a few of those locking straps from MF, I had no idea the ends were plastic until they arrived. I won't even use them, I wouldn't trust 'em for a second. Anybody want some? :)

I have NEVER had a leather-ended strap fail on me in over 25 years.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.