strap. yes im picky

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Sep 12, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've seen those chain straps. Theyre basically a metal chain link, but a guitar strap. Anyone know where to get em?

thanks a bunch

2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I don't know where you could get one (hardware store, perhaps?), but they sure look painful. I couldn't imagine doing a two hour set wearing one of those. Of course, Peter Steele can do it because he's a monster. He looks like the kinda guy who eats small children.

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Here's how you could make one in a few easy steps:

1. Go to hardware store. Buy desired length of standard sized chain.
    2. After hardware store, go to music store. Buy 1 (One) set of straplocks.
    3. Go home.
    4. Once home, solder/weld straplocks onto chain. If you do not own suh equipment, find a friend.
    5. Attatch lock posts to bass.
    6. Put strap on bass.
    7. Play bass. :bassist:

You probably would want to get Schaller straplocks, but that's just my personal preference from experience.
  4. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    bah i thought they sold em. still a cool project i might try
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nobody sells them because nobody would buy them. You might as well just get someone to hit you in the shoulder with a baseball bat, because if you use a chain for a strap, that's what it will feel like in 20 years.
  6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I'm a monster, but I certainly wouldn't like playing my bass with that wrapped around my neck! It's bad enough using a standard nylon strap after 4 hours of practicing (WITH the option to sit down / put it down every now and again). Although I admit it looks cool...

Don't think solder would work... too soft. Welding, yes... but I'd have thought you'd need more than just strap locks to keep it on!
  7. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    the trick to not hurting ur sholder/neck with one of those is to take a sholder pad out of a blazer from the 80's and put that underneath ur shirt

8. I made a strap out of rusty concertina wire. It was badass.

9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're willing to rip up your shoulder, rip up your bass too. Put a few eye bolts in it instead of strap locks (Zakk Wylde does this) and just anchor the thing permanently with chains.
  10. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    What about getting a length of chain and attaching it (loosely) over an existing black or otherwise non-descript strap? You'd still get the look, but a comfy strap would be supporting your bass.
  11. +1, and it'll be uber-metal!
  12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Or, you could just remove your strap peg, and then thread the screw for it through the last link of chain, and screw it back in. It would then hold on indefinitely.
  13. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Why not just weld the chains to the bolts in your neck while you're at it? :p
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, I knew a bass player around here who looked like that Peter Steele guy. A bigger douchebag you could not find on God's green earth. He was the only good looking bodybuilder type I knew who couldn't get laid. Of course, he didn't use a chain as a strap, so that could have made all the difference in the world.