Straplock for MM Stingray5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Where can i buy a straplock for a MM Stingray5, my strap constantly slips off..
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Schaller straplocks from
    Just click here
    Good service, fast delivery. The Schaller locks are easy to fit and work just fine. I have them on every bass I own, including of course my MM SR4. :)
  3. I second the previous post. I have used the same company - very prompt delivery.
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm a Dunlop Straplok man myself, but in all honesty it's Granny Smith apples to Red Delicious apples - they both have their strength and weaknesses, and IMO most failures on either brand are due to user error and lack of maintenance (like they need much more than a drop of oil and a tightening twice a year :rollno: ) I simply like Dunlop's mechanism and variety of designs better - their "wide flange" version is great if you're without an equipped strap, and the day I get a custom bass made will be the day it's routed for their flush-mounted models, the only thing I like about Warwicks. ;)

I just have all my basses set up with Dunlops for consistency’s sake, and if I purchased a bass with Schallers installed I'd likely pull/sell them and install Dunlops. Even if each instrument has it's own strap and specific length, the ability to swap in an emergency is paramount for me and two different types eliminate that.
  5. This review makes me a little uncertain,

"Ok so your guitar won't fall off. But I fitted some to a hefty stingray bass and to cut a long story short they caused some horrible resonances that killed four of five places on the fret board. Im going to hit the supermarket tomorrow and get a couple of bottles of Grolsch"
  6. Schaller straplocks for me!!! i recomend them over any other!!!
  7. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yeah, I read that. Sounds highly unlikely that changing your strap buttons can do that (whatever he means) to a bass. IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Who wrote that, Eric Johnson?
  9. I've only used Schaller (I haven't seen any other brand here in Belgium either), I have no problems with it, works fine
  10. Changing a couple ounces of small metal buttons for another set of small metal buttons, similar mass, compared to a bass that weights 7 to 10 pounds, installed in the same location changes exactly "what" that might affect the resonance of the bass? Basses are still constrained by the laws of physics, right? Even the boutique basses?

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1. I picked up the trick from Billy Sheehan about a yearish ago, works like a charm and I didn't even have to get a longer screw. I had to buy a few more straps though
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A new strap per bass is usually less than a set of strap locks, and much cheaper than the strap locks failing and the bass hitting taking a dive.
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've used Schallers for the past 4 years. They have also been on my Ray5 since it came in. That was the first thing i did after playing it sitting down. The original screw fit through the schaller lock w/a little bit of force. So that was a none issue for me. They have however, started to come loose [the horn one] every so often-so i might just put a few drops of super glue in the hole w/the screw to take care of that. The part on my strap has been there for 4 years. I just tightened it down w/a wrench and a pair of vice grips-hasn't came loose yet. As it's been said-most of the problems have been the result of user error or lack of maintance.

That's all
  14. Unless you screw them to the fretboard.... :rollno: :scowl: :rolleyes:
  15. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Get Schallers...Dunlop's mechanism uses too many little (and breakable) parts. The Schaller mechanism is simpler, feels more solid, and gives me much better peace of mind. I even got Dunlops for free once when buying the Warwick I recently sold. Guess what? I still put Schallers on it and sold the Dunlops to a TB member
  16. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    dual design dunlops. they're the most versatile straplocks
  17. Ive black stingray with a black pickguard. Shall i buy a black Shaller straplock or just a metallic one
  18. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'd go with whatever the finish was on the original buttons. I think the Nickel Schallers, then?