Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straplock install mishap....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SiLeNTScReAM, Dec 29, 2004.

1. SiLeNTScReAM

SiLeNTScReAM

Dec 29, 2004
    Well yesterday after a visit to Guitar Center I bought a straplock system, by Dunlap which I had insisted on getting. When I got home I installed the button on the top.... then on the bottom... but the bottom one actually... fell out... so obviously the wood that I screwed it back into got stripped, and now.... :crying: I don't know what to do.... Luckily I got the original buttons back in, but the straplock system is on my strap, and that is hard to take off, and I still insist on getting it installed... Anyone suggest getting a longer screw for the bottom?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The quick'n'dirty fix is to put a wood toothpick or two in the screw hole along with some glue, wait to dry, then you basically have an un-stripped hole. I've done that a few times with success.

3. SiLeNTScReAM

SiLeNTScReAM

Dec 29, 2004
    Hmmm... I will take that one into consideration. You have done it with success? I still haven't got a clue what I will do with it.

It is a brand new bass.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Its no big deal, the dunlop straplok screw is just smaller than the screw that was holding your other strap pins in. I have Dunlops on all my basses so I've done this a lot of times. Here's what to do

1. get some flat wood toothpicks, put them in the strap pin holes and cut them off so that they are flush with the outside of the hole. You will only need 2 or 3 toothpicks depending on how large the hole is.

2.Put some elmers wood glue on the toothpicks and place them back into the strap pin hole. Use a damp cloth to wipe off any excess cement.

3.screw your Dunlop straploks into your bass while the cement is still wet. Again use a damp cloth to wipe off any excess cement.

4. Let it dry for 24 hours and you should be good to go

5. SiLeNTScReAM

SiLeNTScReAM

Dec 29, 2004
    You are right, my friend. Just not to long ago we made a trip to ACE Hardware and the kind man cut the head so it fit into the button, and now I have a dunlop straplock system. :hyper: And now my bass isn't really ruined like I thought it was. :bag:

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    To get the dunlop strap thingie off my strap, I use a pair of needle nose pliers. Works like a champ. One "nose" goes in the retainer ring, and the other "nose" goes on the outside of the button. Just squeeze and the ring will pull right off the post.

7. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I figured I'd revive this thread almost two years to the date rather than start a new thread. I've installed Dunlops on several of my basses. I've never drilled down the holes to fit, just used a screw driver and went a little deeper. Well, I went to do this same thing on an Atelier (heavy ash) and stripped the screw. . . :rollno: :help:. Anyone have any advice on getting a stripped screw out? The only thing I can think of is to get some serious pliers and crush them into the head of the screw and turn it that way - just didn't know if there was some quicker, simpler technique for the bass idiot.

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    If the screw head is exposed, just take a regular pair of pliers and turn them parallel to the screw head and grab around it with the teeth. It should come right out. The mistake some people make is trying to pinch it with the tip of the pliers and twist.

9. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Perhaps Dunlop might have answers. I don't. I just put their locks on my Geddy and caved to drilling just to not face what you are. Been there with screws in many other applications. Check Dunlop site and e-mail them if you have to. Maybe they'll issue replacement screws so you can do whatever you have to to get those out.

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    1) Get a pair of REAL Channelock pliers
    2) Get a thick piece of cardboard, plastic, leather, etc. to put between the pliers end and the bass body(finish protection!).
    3) Adjust Channelock so it clamps the screwhead firmly
    4) Unscrew

Yes, I've gotten busted screws out of pretty wood before.

My Epi T-Bird clone had the Straploc screws always worked loose so they are JB Welded in(epoxy-type glue).

11. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thanks, guys. . . already contacted Dunlop. Channelocks it is - what an idiot I am. :rollno:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This totally irritates me about Dunlop Straploks. Their screws are always smaller than the screws of the original strap buttons, and everyone has to fill the hole with toothpicks and glue to install them. Why can't they put screws that match up to the regular strap button screws? Is it so much to ask for?

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    [​IMG]

It sounds like Schaller might be a good solution. ;) Never had a problem.

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Oh, I love the Dunlops. . . have them on all my basses. I've tried the Schallers and they're not for me. In response to JimmyM, in my situation, the size isn't the issue. Actually, the screws were a bit bigger and longer than the standard screws, that's why I got into trouble. Trying to screw them in manually was what did it to me.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well you have to screw them in somehow!

BTW, I had the same problem with Schallers, too, plus I hated working with them. I much prefer Dunlops.

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    It's like Coke vs. Pepsi.

;)

Joe

17. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    :D

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It is, indeed, except people actually care about Coke and Pepsi ;)

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've never run into this problem, ever. I'm talking 15 or so basses I have put straploks on. I have run into the dunlop screw being larger than the one in a bass fitted with schallers (fender).

20. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Save yourself the trouble of straplocks: Get a rubber seal off a bottle of your favorite beverage (or someone else's).

[​IMG]

You just have to remember to turn them clockwise as you install them, or they may loosen the screw. ;)