Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straplock poll:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Dunlop

146 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. Schaller

144 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. Dont' like straplocks

32 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. What's your pick?

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What's the difference?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've had the nut that holds a Schaller on the strap back off and drop a bass. Never again. The Dunlop is held on by a C-clip which cannot come off the button on the strap. Only thing I've seen negative about the Dunlop is that the mechanism can get gummed up a bit and sticky, just put a little 3-in-1 oil on it and move the mechanism a few times, all better. I generally never remove my strap from the bass, so this isn't an issue anyhow.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I use the Dunlop also, never had any problem in all those years.

5. thanks for the input;
    -13 votes for dunlp?!

6. I've had both, The Dunlops never failed me, the Schallers slipped twice.

7. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i love my dunlops...... theyve never let me down so i havent tried others. i used to use tape :D

8. also, dunlop locks come standard on some basses like warwicks. i don't think anything comes with schallers.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually DHC, Fenders (at least some of them) and Spectors come with the Schallers as OEM straplocks. You'd think Stuart would use something a bit more reliable...;)

10. Schaller... that's the only ones they sell 'round these parts :)

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I didn't vote because I use both with equal success. I had started using Dunlops 'cause I heard bad things about Schallers. Then my custom order bass came standard with Schallers. Haven't had a problem with any slips on any of 'em.

Peace,

James

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Schallers
    I used to use Dunlops till I got my warwick. The dunlops kept popping off causing me to drop my bass. I went throught 3 sets before I decided to make the change to schallers. As far as the nut on the Schaler straplocks coming loose, a drop of glue or fingernail polish or locktight will cure that.

13. I've had Schallers on my bass for six months and have had no problems at all. No loose nuts or slips or anything. Maybe the folks who dropped their basses play way more aggressive and jump around a lot. If that was the case then I'd use plumber's tape. The white stuff that you are supposed to wrap around the thread on PVC pipes to seal them. I used that on my snowboard and the screws never loosen. That board has been through a lot worse than my bass so I'm pretty sure that plumber's tape could fix the problem of loose nuts completely.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Where's the 'other' catagory? I have been using Fender straplocks for several months now. The only problem I encountered, was that the nut that holds the lock to the strap came loose. I fixed that problem by putting some clear fingernail polish on the threads, tightening the nuts back down and then putting a dab of nail polish in the little groove where the nut actually meets the threads. My only complaint is that with the strap on the bass, the pin and lock combo is too long to fit in my case, so I have to remove the strap each time I put it away. :(

15. I got dunlops today.

After much agrivation, some cuts on my finger and some needle-nose plyers, I managed to get the locking clips in place. What should I do if I wanna change straps? I really don't wanna take off that locking clip.

16. I bought a set of Schallers and got home to find that the screws were too small. I either have to get a different set or fill the holes on my bass body and start fresh (if I wanna use the ones I have).

Oh well, being a lazy S.O.B., I think I know which route I'll take.

17. I've been using Schallers for probably 13-14 years and have never had one fail. I've never tried Dunlops so I can't comment on those.

18. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I've been using Schallers for about 6 months now and they work great. They are pretty heavy duty and I haven't had one fall off. They are also easy to take on and off.

19. PeninaD

PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    PA
    For those who want to change straps, I did see that the Dunlop site shows that they package sets of just the strap pins. But I have yet to see a store that stocks these!

20. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey, here's a hint i picked up, and should be helpful if the strap button screw is too small for the hole in your bass. Stick a toothpick in the hole on your bass and pour in a little elmers glue, then screw in the strap button... this does wonders for stopping the button from coming lose. The guys in my band play les pauls, which, i think, are heavier than most basses, and after both of their buttons came loose, this kept them from coming loose again. This works for normal straps too, but if you don't have straplocks, then you shouldn't play standing up anyway... not if you love your bass