Straplock problem, need advice!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petch, Jan 24, 2005.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I just purchased a wide Levy's leather strap for my 5 string. When I tried to install the straplocks (Schallers) on the strap the leather is so thick at one end that I can't get the washer underneath the nut. So I put only the nut on with loctite. Anybody else have this experience and is this solution reasonable? Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use mostly levy's straps and Schaller strap locks.I always have to take a pair of side cutters and trim some of the leather away from around the hole so the threaded part goes
    thru. If the strap is real thick I use a pair of channel locks
    and or pliers to smush down the washer enough to get the threads started. If you have a small vice grip you can clamp one side down and hold the other side down with the channel locks or pliers. If you have someone to help and dont have the vice grips you can squeeze the washer down from both sides while your helper gets the nut threaded on. then I hold the bottom part with the channel locks while tightening the nut with a wrench 13mm I think. Be sure not to squeeze the
    bottom part with the channel locks when tightening the nut.
    If you do it may bind or not slip over the pin end that goes in the Bass. :)
  3. I've had a similar problem, bu solved it similarly to NV. I used a knife to trim away some of the leather, and then used channel locks to get the washer and nut over the thick parts. The reason to use the washer is to ensure you have the widest coverage possible. The washer is not critical, so as long as your not jumping around w/ the bass, the nut should work fine
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Locktite can be problematic. Make sure you don't use the stuff that only releases when you apply heat. I have a cabinet that I made and used the super heavy-duty stuff. I can't take it apart anymore. If you don't want to use the strap for any other purpose, you may be o.k.
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Go to a hardware store. Bring the Schaller strap lock with you, or measure the outside diameter of the threaded shaft. Find a piece of copper pipe at the hardware store with the same or very close outside diameter. Have the store cut you 6" of the pipe.

Lay the strap end on a piece of 2x4. Have a hammer ready. Wearing oven mitts, heat one end of the pipe (I use a gas flame on my stove) until it's red. Now place the pipe red hot end down over the button hole in the strap, centered on the hole. Now hit the other end with the hammer. It ought to go right through the leather, leaving you with a hole the exact size as the threaded shaft of the Schaller, with neatly seared edges that won't fray.

Please don't do this if you're a kid out there. And take all precautions- I don't want to get sued because someone doesn't use common sense. The pipe will be ultra hot and you can burn yourself or someone else very severely. Take care. Oh, and make sure the oven mitt isn't wet, or you will scald yourself badly.

I think that's enough safety warnings. Anyway, this works well.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Interesting technique :D , but it's not the diameter of the hole, it's the thickness of the leather that's the problem. The diameter is fine. There is not enough thread sticking thru the strap to get both the washer and the nut on. How come they don't make (or do they?) a Straplock with longer threads for this situation? I have encountered this before, and I did some sqeezing via pliers and was successful. But this one is way too thick, I'm not even close to getting it started. Anybody ever try flattening the leather with a hammer? :eyebrow:
    Thanks for the visegrip/leather trimming suggestions. Perhaps a combination of the two will work.
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I just left the washer off of the tight side and the
    "C" clip by itself worked fine.

It's been that way for 8 years with no problemo.