1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

straplock screw problem - help much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by climb, Mar 8, 2008.

1. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi guys,
    Recently got a Sukop fretless. The original owner had removed the Dunlop straplocks that were originally on the bass, and installed some other form of strap button (he doesn't like straplocks). When he installed one of them, he made the hole where the screw normally threads bigger, and installed some wooden pin or something. He removed his own installation, and sent me the original straplocks but not installed.

Steve Sukop sent me 2 replacement screws to install these. Unfortunately, the screw doesn't bite in the wood, b/c the drilled hole (I presume). The original owner recommended that I use some glue in the screw hole, let it set, and then rescrew it into the glued hole. Anybody have experience or thoughts on this? Basically, I need a form of a rescue screw, but I'm limited in what I can use in terms of diameter by the straplock, and I don't really want to use a longer screw and damage the wooden body of the bass further.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks for any help

2. Take a toothpick, break it off and kind of stuff it in the hole, and add some glue to the hole. Then let it dry. When the glue is dry then you can screw the new screw into the hole. Works like a charm. There are plenty of threads covering this situation.

3. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    1+

Use tightbond or elmers yellow glue. You can use white school glue if you want too, it just takes longer to dry.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yeah the toothpick glue trick has yet to fail me.

If you have enough toothpick in the hole you don't have to wait for it to completely dry. It will bite the wood and the glue will then dry around the screw.

5. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    thanks--worked perfectly! Used 2 toothpicks and woodglue, since the hole was so big...

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Spend the money on wooden skewers (for shish-kabbob). They are hard wood and NOT crap wood. Use crazy glue and 3 pieces in the whole. You will then be screwing into to center of the 3 mini dowls. pre measure them to come just shy of the endge of the hole... put glue on 2 of then and stick them in the hole, use the 3rd on to push them down and then shove it in as well. The glue run off from the other 2 with grab the 3rd. Let it dry and screw the straplock in by HAND

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    oops, sorry, I didn't realize you were done already.

8. Awesome! I put straplocks on all my new basses and they're never the same size screws so I've become quite good at modding my own straplocks, although that wooden skewer idea sounds like a good idea too.

9. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Wooden skewer is a good idea. Multiple toothpics is also good if the hole is large. Chopsticks if it is really large. In the US, toothpicks are generally made of northern birch. That's a harder wood than most bass bodies ;-)

Superglue is a BAD idea. Hard to clean up, Does not stick particularly well to porous materials such as wood. Dries TOO quick.

Also, don't be tempted to use a polyurethane glue like Gorilla. It'll expand all over and make a nasty mess.

Yellow (wood) is best for this, but white (school) glue is good too. The main difference is the drying time.

10. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Why spend loads of money on strap locks? One swift turn, a flying spring, and your left with your bass on the floor! What is much cheaper and more durable is the use of two simple washers. Go to your local DIY store and get two washers that are slightly smaller than the strap locks. Then unscrew the buttons, and put the washer on over the screw. Finally put the strap onto the screw (behind the washer). Now screw the assembly onto the bass. Your strap is not clamped in place by the washer, and wont come off for WW3!

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Because i actually take my straps off before the bass goes into the bag...