1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straplocking a heavy bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zatan130, May 19, 2012.

1. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    Hi, I have a MIM Fender Precision slab bass. By slab, I mean it's not contoured and is the same depth throughout the entire body. It weighs 13lbs. Its endpins were ripped out by Schaller straplocks. Then I went to my local music store and they repaired the endpin holes, gave me new endpins, and recommended Dunlops. Then about two months later the Dunlops ripped them out. I was embarassed and went to another music store, got it fixed and they recommended Schallers. >_<

Any suggestions?
    Also, what do people think of these methods? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjCi5yefz-o

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The weight of the bass alone shouldn't be causing this issue with properly installed strap locks. What else are you doing? Jumping around?

3. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    ...yes.

If I was just nicely walking around or sitting, I wouldn't need straplocks.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Skip the strap locks and just use a big screw (or multiple screws) and a washer to permanently affix your strap to the bass. I did that with my telecaster and my P. neither are heavy, but it's nice to not rely on strap locks.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Well, instead of screws you can always buy lag bolts and put big-ass washers over them. Just pre-drill so you don't split the body in half. Not pretty, but highly functional.

41g5oTPUlvL._AA115_.jpg

Otherwise, you may have to find a happy medium between the size and length of mounting bolts and the level of hopping around you want to do.

6. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    Not sure about using bolts...

Anyone know what Mike Dirnt or that guy from the Ramones used?

And I still wanna know what people think of those ideas in the YT vid I posted.

7. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

Oct 21, 2010
    ok buy another set of the dunlop strap locks BUT have the end that screws in to the body countersunk so there isnt any leverage issues make sure they are not the dual purpose dunlop strap locks :D

8. Pilgrim

I DID intend for that comment about lag bolts to be somewhat tongue-in cheek.

Lots of people use rubber washers, but they won't stop you from tearing out screws if you're whirling around like a dervish.

I use a flat metal washer under the screw-down strap knob on my Gretsch 5123 bass, but it also won't prevent me from tearing out the stud it's screwed onto if I jump around too much.

IMAG0872.jpg

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you're jumping around so much that you're ripping the screws out of the body, then your problem isn't going to be solved by a DIFFERENT type of strap lock. Instead, you are probably going to have to look at different alternatives, like much longer screws and washers.

10. Pilgrim

There seems to be a common thread here.....:eek:

11. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Lots of people use those ideas from the YouTube video. I would choose the metal washer over the grolsch washer because it doesn't deform. Neither of those will prevent you from ripping the screws out, though.

12. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    So, the magical solution is longer screws and metal washers between the strap and the endpins?
    How long would you say? Currently, the screws are exactly one inch.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I gonna geauss a good two inches length would be minimum. Also thicker then regular guitar strap pin screws. And attached where they are far enough away from wood edges either side. So you dont go ripping off a chunk of wood instead of just tearing out the screw. But Id suggest a new bass, something like this, you could have weilder weild a nice wielded closed circle metal strap holder (put yer strap on it first cause you wont be able to put it on or take it off (otheer then by cutting it off) after strap holder loop is on the bass. lol

14. Pilgrim

One thing to remember - the longer and larger diameter the screw, the more of a chance you're taking on splitting the wood, especially if a screw is located on a pointy upper bout.. Make sure to drill a pilot hole for the oversize screw to eliminate the potential for splits.

I'd also think 2" would be enough.

15. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    My old Strat clone has strap screws about 2-2.5" long that I screwed deep into the body, and some big chunky metal washers to secure the strap. That strap has never budged with no amount of jumping around or tossing it over the shoulder. The strap is an old seatbelt by the way...

16. There's your problem. The screws need to be much longer. "1 1/2 at minimum.