1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Straplocks - a sound investment or a foolish waste of money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve4765630, Apr 7, 2006.

1. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    What do you think about straplocks? Best thing since sliced bread or waste of money?

2. 15 bucks or paying someone to fix a broken neck? hrrmmm.

:smug:

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As someone who has in his youth dropped and damaged a very valuable collectible instrument due to a strap mishap that could have easily been prevented with straplocks, I say that they are invaluable.

Install them and use them.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    SOUND INVESTMENT !!!

5. dwbentley

dwbentley

May 5, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    First thing I do when I get a new bass. My first bass hit the floor, once. I'll never let it happen again. It's cheap, easy and will save your bass in the long run.

6. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Try it. Once you try it, you won't go back! I recommend the Dunlops (They came with my MTD, Sadowsky and Warwick). When putting on my basses, I always have one hand on the bass neck until I'm sure the straps are on securely.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I told myself "I'll just get them for my '73 just in case".. now every bass I own has them

8. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

just drop your bass once...then you'll know why a lot of us rave about them. ;)

9. Not even once did I strap my new bass on BEFORE I installed the straplocks.

A sound investment if I've ever seen one.

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    All my basses get Schaller straplocks before they get gigged.

Slug

11. +1 - I prefer Schallers to other brands and all my bases get them.

All my bases also get a different screw then the one supplied with the Schallers as in most cases the supplied ones are too short and a bit too thin to support the weight of the bass.

I have seen the strap fall off some guy I knows Les Pual Custom and the neck snap, and I have seen the same thing happen to a friends SG studio. The studio was fixed the les paul was unfixable. It is very easy for a strap to come off mid show, the peace of mind strap locks give is well worth the token price.

12. AN ABSOLUTE MUST! BEST INVESTMENT YOU'LL EVER MAKE, PERIOD!

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yup.

14. Make sure they are well installed and suitable holes and screws are used. one of mine has worked loose cos i screwed to hard i think.

I think schaller beats the dunlop recessed ones and have had both.

15. Schaller Straplocks are TEH EVUUUUULL!

Seriously - they're coming lose very easily, while you're still thinking you're save and then - Bass on the floor.

It happened to me and the guitarist in my band.

I now use these Rubber-washers that some beer-bootles have, and never since i had to worry about anything.

16. To get the most out of Schaller Straplocks you need to use a longer and thicker screw then the one supplied. In most cases you are using them in a pre-existing hole and the Schaller screw is a bit smaller then say the one fender use to hold their strap pins in. Also REMOVE THE FELT/LEATHER WASHER. All these are doing is allowing the screw to work itself free.

I know what you mean (this happened on my Fender P Deluxe when I first got it) when you say they come loose easily - if you replace the screw this will cease to be an issue.

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think it depends. I don't really think it's ever a real waste of money, cause it doesn't cost that much, and you'll get some kinda benefit from it.

But if you're like me, and the only thing you move onstage is your fingers, and occasionally a soulful head bob, you just don't really need em.

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

I always use schaller locks. I used superglue to make sure they don't twist around on the strap and have the opening to the bottom. I prefer the schallers because even if they button comes out, the strapbutton is still sitting in the cup.

Never really have any dramas. good investment

19. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Wouldn't play without them. For a very low price you can ensure your bass doesn't hit the floor.

Both Dunlop and Schaller are good...I prefer the Schaller's just because it's all I have ever used.

As for the Schaller's coming loose....if you play alot it does happen....just like any other maintenance on your instrument you need to periodically check to make sure they are tight. I agree with using a bit longer/larger screws to attach them and sometimes a toothpick/matchstick wood in the cavity doesn't hurt.

20. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I got some that came with my bass, they are great. i mean even if they do come loose after long periods of playing(which they sometimes do) its still better than just having a normal strap on a strap button