Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

straplocks / Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i'm going to order my new bass today, a ibanez bt405 in honey sunburst and thought i should buy some accesories too.

First: Schaller straplocks i guess that's the best straplocks?

Second: I'll need a new cable since the old one is a cheapo and is pretty bad, i've thought off planet waves.
    I've heard that these cables are great mid priced cables,
    so what else would you recommend?

Thanks

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I hate Planet Wave cables. The jack gimickry does nothing for me.

That being said, I have been using them for the past two years and they work just fine. I have no reason to toss them because they work very well. The jack sleeve is an annoyance. I also use Whirlwind which, is a very good cable as well.

3. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I like, and use, Planet Waves cables because they have a molded case around the jack, and hold up pretty well. That said, I don't like them any more than any other well built cable with a molded jack. They just happen to be what I bought.

I also use schaller straplocks, and I have no reason to complain about them as of yet. I have heard of some problems with them putting stress on basses, and stripping out holes, but I've never actually seen it.

I'm quite content using both these products.

4. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    schaller straplocks, good
    monster cable, good

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    well, i ordered black schaller straplocks and a
    planet-waves PW-AG20 i think it's called.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like the Schallers, though a couple of my instruments have Dunlops.

As for cables, I kinda like the Bill Lawrence cable kit. You get 50 ft (about 15 m) of cable and ten plugs, and you cut the lengths you want and screw the plugs on (like the George L's). The cable sounds fine. It looks delicate and flimsy, but it's considerably stronger than it looks, though it won't stand really determined abuse. An advantage is that if your connection goes bad on one end, you can fix it in seconds with a sharp knife and a small screwdriver, with no soldering. Another advatntage is that because the cable diameter is small, the cables you make are very compact and can fit easily into a lot of places.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Connector_Cable.htm

7. Straplocks:

I used Dunlops for years- around 12 or so- the only issues I ever had were user error, not making sure the male end was firmly seated, and not making sure the screw was firmly seated. However, over the course of several years the weight of the instruments and the angle at which the male end is being pulled wore 'gouges' into them and eventually the bearings were prone to slipping. I've also had some where one of the bearings stayed recessed, so only 3 were holding the weight (I think the old design only used 2). I won't say the Dunlop design is bad- just that the weight of the instrument is almost entirely borne by a mechanical system. Anything mechanical can fail.

The Schallers seem to be more of a pain, but the design is so that even if the mechanical system fails, the "cup" the strap pin fits into will completely and solidly hold the weight of the guitar. The only thing that can fail is the nut can come unscrewed. A drop of loc-tite or clear nail polish will take care of that.

If someone uses the wrong size screw- or doesn't make sure the screw is installed straight- that's hardly a design problem. Operator headspace and timing or simple preventive maintenance.