1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straplocks coming off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basboeg, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    So the straplocks are coming off my Ibanez (luckily not the Tobias) and by that I mean that the screw itself is getting looser everyday. Of course, I can just screw it back in, and it will sit there, but this happens more often now and to be honest: I can't rely on it any longer for gigs. The problem I wondering is how this can be fixed. I thought about glueing the screw in the whole but don't know if that would be a problem if I intend to sell it in the future. Also it could cause some reaction to the wood but I might be way off here. Are there any straplocks with extra huge screws?

2. get you some elmers or any kind of wood glue and a toothpick. glue the toothpick in the hole and wait until it dries. put the screw back in and tighten it and it should be good as new.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Toothpicks and woodglue, toothpicks and woodglue, toothpicks and woodglue.

Give it 24 hours to dry completely before screwing it back in.

4. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    imho i would glue it... superglue right in the hole.
    And if you have it for a while and keep rockin' on it the glue will wear down eventually, and when that happens you can do it again or sell it or w/e

5. Yeah, I always use a little Elmer's wood glue when I install straploks (Dunlop) on my basses.

6. glue works well +1

7. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    Right now it's leaning towards the toothpick situation: it easens it up if I want to sell it in the future. Thanks for the help!

8. matches work to (just cut off the part that you strike)

9. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    +1

I haven't had this problem yet, but I helped a guitarist who was endlessly taping his strap to his axe. I told him about the glue and toothpick trick and he has had no problems.

10. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    My local repairman showed me an awesome trick using wooden chopsticks you get from Chinese takeout. You take those chopsticks, file the tips down thin enough point to slide all the way into the hole (about 2"). Really push it into the hole and then break it off. You've basically reset the wood and now the screw has something to grab onto. I've done this to all of my American Fenders and never had a problem again. He also said that you can remove the felt pad under the straplock which will give you the extra depth you need to grab onto fresh wood, but I think the chopsticks work better.

Make sure to use an awl to tap a center point to make it easier for the screw to thread in the wood.

Good luck!

11. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    +1

toothpicks and wood glue is an excellent approach.
    I used this move easily 100 times when I was doing furniture repair service calls.
    ( I carried popsicle sticks and a box cutter and just "shaved off" whatever size wood piece I needed.)

I could never wait 24 hours though.
    I had to complete a job on the spot so screws went in as soon as the glue and wood did.
    I always felt that the screw was "clamping" the wood chip into place while the glue dried.
    I never had problems or call-backs with that method.

good luck,

Chad

12. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I never have toothpicks around the house, so what I do is shave off strips from wooden chopsticks, put'em in the hole and screw it back in. Tight as hell and won't go anywhere - didn't need glue either!