Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straplocks for a Gibson Thunderbird???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Th9nker, May 10, 2004.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Can any of you Thunderbird owners suggest a good sraplock system? I'm using schallers on my more traditionaly shaped bass...

I was just wondering about issues from the unique placement of the strap buttons on the Thunderbird...

The front one is facing you and I don't want anything poking me or being released accidentaly....

2. I had Dunlops on my T-Bird for years without incident, they didn't poke me, and more importantly they didn't let go. About a year and a half ago I changed all of my guitars and basses to Schaller. While it's poked me in the belly a couple of times, it's been my fault when it's happened. Most importantly they haven't let go.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I use Schallers on all my basses, including my TBird. In the position I wear it I never have a problem with it poking me, and since you have to pull up on one to release it you'll never unclip accidentally.

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    The dunlops have always made me kind of nervous... I guess with the T-Bird, I'm just concerned about the fact that the release button is facing me.

The schallers have always worked well for me so I will probably stick with them.

But if they start getting a little too touchy-feely with my beer gut.....

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've used Dunlop on my T-bird for ten years and it works great, never had a problem with the release button. The main thing though is that you need some kind of strap lock, any is better than none.

When I was young and first owned my T-bird (1976) they didn't have strap locks. I had the strap slip off twice, but luckily caught it both times (lucky it is neck heavy, my hand was already supporting some weight). About that time Dunlop came out with their first strap locks, which were leather strips. One had the strap button on it, and the other one had a hole. You put your strap on and then put the other leather strap on top of it. It worked for me for 15 years. I like the new ones much better though.

Gibson should make strap locks factory equipment on T-birds. I've never seen a bass more prone to having the strap slip off while playing.