1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straplocks for thick leather straps

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jimothythompson, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I've been trying to find a strap lock big enough to be installed on my quarter inch thick leather strap but I can't seem to find anything. There must be something out there that is big enough for this strap. Any ideas?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    A regular fender washer from the hardware store. You'll have to unscrew it to remove it.

3. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    it is possible to get the Dunlops on thicker straps, I have them on my Levy although it took a little time and elbow grease, on one occasion I deleted the washer from the assembly and used only the retainer with no adverse affects.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    signed on

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Moody strap, which I consider fairly thick leather. I use Schaller Strap Locks. You have to press it and twist it on just enough to hold a bit, then take pliers to it and tighten that way. Worked for me no problems.

6. I use the Schalers on a thick leather strap, althoguh 1/4 in seams thicker than mine. I had to cut wholes in the strap to accomodate the lock since the standard slits didnt give enough to get the lock through, then as mentioned before get the nut started and use pliers or wrench to sinch it up. Toot a little elbow grease but it workes fine.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    The Dunlops worked better for me on my Moody's than the Schaller. With the Schallers I had to add Loctite to the threads to keep the nut and release ball from falling off. The retaining ring on the Dunlops is easier to assemble and has been very secure. I just wish they would offer a flush mount receiver like on the Warrior basses as an option - or, do they? :meh:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never understood the flush mount straplock craze. What happens if you forget a strap and have to borrow one without straplocks? At least you could use the buttons if they're not flush mounted. With flush mounted, you're screwed.

9. That's so true...and I have forgotten straps before...TWICE! :( ...they escape from your case like socks from the dryer...

I'm still churning in my head a locking strap that works with ANY standard strap button...the key is on the strap...not on some two-part locking mechanism...

10. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    It's either dunlop or planet waves, but I believe one of them made such a device.

11. Do you have the specific name of one of these? Like "Dunlop kickass strap lock for giant straps"?

12. Greg O

Greg O

Aug 11, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    where did you go about aquiring such a strap?
    peace,
    greg o

13. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Schallers here.

14. it's not really a quarter inch thick, but it's a thick leather strap from Italia Straps. They have a great store on eBay and make everything made to order. The leather is getting worn from me taking it off all the time and it's falling off during shows. I need straplocks for thick straps so i can take it off without worrying about destroying the leather.

15. +1. Mine took a lot of patience with the thickness of the strap, but I got there in the end....

16. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Dunlop has a locking strap. Basically it's a ratchet mechanism on either end of the strap; you put the strap on the button (it's a teardrop shape so it will hold the guitar without the lock engaged) and press the ratchet down to lock a wedge over the top of the button. It works pretty well on most standard cone-shaped buttons and Dunlop Straplock buttons (the older style, not the modern-looking barrel). Some oddly-shaped or oversized buttons won't fit, and others won't lock as securely, like Schaller buttons.

There are also locks that go on after you put the strap on the button. They're two counter-rotating halves, and in one position they form an open teardrop, in the other a tight circle. They're not real secure though, and they get lost easy, but they're real cheap so you can afford to lose a few.

One of the best designs I've seen is actually one of the oldest; it's simply a doubled strip of leather with a hefty button on one side and a matching buttonhole on the other. With the straplock folded in half, unscrew the guitar button and reinstall it with the folded part of the lock between the button and the body of the guitar, maybe with a washer between the lock and the original button for security. Then, just put the strap on the lock's button, and put the button through the other side of the lock. The strap is now on there pretty good, and pulling the strap in any direction simply pulls the strap against the shaft of the button instead of towards any open end of the button. Either half of the straplock could break and the strap's still on there (though far less secure). Unless you really jump around on stage, this works remarkably well and - here's the best part - no special equipment is required on the strap, so you can swap straps out without needing a new set of locks for every strap.

17. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I've been using Grolsch beer cap rubber gaskets for years on the suggestion of a friend. They work great. Only ever had a little trouble on a Dano Longhorn where the front peg was too close to the neck heel for anything to work really well. I've replaced all of them once or twice in 5 years as they dry out a little with age.

Dan_reeves likes this.
  18. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I've used the Dunlops with thick straps. If you don't mind, you can carefully scrape away one side of the strap (circular shape the size of the washer) so it will fit.

19. yeah, i got one of thos too. i got the 5 incher and put the schallers on it. i must say it took some mighty strong squeezes to get it on but i got it, a half hour later. i used a pair of wire cutters to push the washer as flat as i could get it against the kitchen counter and screw on the tiny little nut around the threads. i actually broke a sweat but so far no problems.

i once beat a strap with a hammer around the slits to thin it out so i could get a set of strap locks on but ended up screwing up my strap down the road since the leather started dry rotting right around where i beat it about 3 months later. lesson learned.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And the rest of the cap makes a nifty roachclip!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021