1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straplocks for thick leather straps

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jimothythompson, Jun 21, 2007.

1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yep, right here:
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=142&pmh=products/accessories

2. great....for $5 they may be worth a shot...

although, the grolsch washers gives me an idea ;)

(time to hit Bunnings)

3. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    Me too; I had to use some needlenose pliers to 'tuck' the leather into the bell of the straplock, but it worked like a charm after that.

4. thanks for all the help. I ended getting Schaller locks and about 6 gallons of elbow grease. works great

5. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have a very thick fender strap and used the dunlop straplocks. some work to get on, but it did happen in the end

6. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I am brand new here (and very new to bass), so I hope you don't mind my putting in my two cents, but since I liked the Schaller better than the Dunlop, I went with the elbow grease approach. The thing that made it much easier for me was using a socket wrench to tighten it up. Once you find the socket that fits (a deep well works nicely), you can snug it down without busting your knuckles or damaging your strap.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
  8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not positive, but they do look like a sturdy plastic rubber combo. I have no idea how good they are, I don't use them; I use Schallers. I did have a friend that used the Dunlops, he didn't seem to have any problems with them.

9. Dunlops all the way. Took me 2 days to get them on my 5" Levy leather strap. Put screwdriver handles in the holes for a day to stretch em, then used pliers to help get em on. lots of time and effort, but now they are snug.

10. I just put Dunlop straplocks on my new 4" 4 ply leather strap. It took a lot of sturggling but now they fit very tightly and i'd trust them with my bass.

Those Dunlop things are just plastic, i have a synthetic planet waves strap that has the same idea on it. They are great but mine got cracked eventually which is why i bought the new strap and dunlop locks :)

11. I switched to Schallers after one of those Dunlop plastic thingies popped apart on me and the Bass landed on the deck (luckily on a matt and I managed to keep the neck off the deck).

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The ones that Q-parts makes - they are the Schaller design (perhpas Schaller makes them?) but offer fancey washers - have ~1/8" more of the threaded portion than the Schallers do which makes all the difference with thick straps. I like the various washer designs, but you can get plain as well...

JR

13. LandMan

LandMan

Jan 15, 2018
    So I use Schaller's and the best way that I have found is to first tighten the strap with only the nut (leaving the washer out). I used a 13mm deep socket to tighten the strap down and left it for 10 minutes. Then remove the nut and place the washer, followed by the nut. It works like a charm. Hope this helps everyone to install the strap locks with ease.

14. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ever since I have used my Levy's 4-inch leather strap, it's so secure and thick on the ends, that I don't use straplocks anymore. As long as the button is big enough, I'm good.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021