Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straplocks - Many Brands?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slick519, Dec 8, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I am looking to buy some strap locks for m bass, and i have heard some wonderful things, and some bad things....

Do these "things" rely on what brand they are, and if it does which brand would be better?

thanks,
    SLicks

2. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    If your not attached to your strap buttons, check out the DiMarzio clip-lock strap.

The thing I love about these is that you don't think to yourself sub-conciously "man, i hope my bass doesn't fall", because you KNOW it won't, unlike strap locks, which have been known to fail sometimes.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've been using Schaller SecurityLocks for ages, and they've never failed me.

4. Like JMX, I have used Schallers for years with never a failure or problem. As with anything mechanical, it is smart to check them periodically to make sure everything it as it should be.

5. I'm using dunlops, not a problem so far, and I play rough ;)

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I tried both Shallers and Dunlops...Shallers failed me a couple of times, so now I use only Dunlops.

7. My friend (plays guitar) had schallers and the guitar just fell on the ground when he jumped up and down. Should have seen the look in his face, it was priceless. Now he's using dunlops and had no problems.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    This has been discussed many times, and you'll find an equal amount of people who have had problems with Schallers or Dunlops. As lonote49 said, check the equipment occasionally and you'll be fine with either brand. I personally feel the Schallers have better security than Dunlops, Dunlops have failed me mechanically once and I then switched. No problems since, but I need to tighten the nuts every now and then. Just check it while doing other maintenance or cleaning.

9. My only problem was finding straplocks with screws that werent too small for my bass. I had a few problems with them falling out. Now i just use staplocks on the bridge end of the bass and regular buttons on the neck end.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Originally posted by GothSkaBassist:
    My only problem was finding straplocks with screws that werent too small for my bass. I had a few problems with them falling out. Now i just use staplocks on the bridge end of the bass and regular buttons on the neck end.

That is a problem, the screws shipped with the Schallers for instance are too thin and short. So, this is what I do: Get a slightly larger/longer screw. It won't fit in the hole in the strap lock, so I drill that out with a suitable drill bit. Then the head of the screw won't fit either. I protect the threads with insulation tape, put the screw in a hand drill and then grind the screw head down against a metal file while the drill rotates it. Works beautifully.

11. Wow. Good idea dude, thanks!

12. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've had both Schaller and Dunlops fail. Just because you have straplocks on doesn't mean you shouldn't check them frequently (I've not had a bass hit the deck though).

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've had my Schaller threaten to fail (the wood around the screw was beaten wider by the abuse of jumping around). All you have to do is CHECK these things once in a while.

14. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I use dunlops, they work beautifully,but the I put them in myself and i screwed up the hole. So the thing gets loose all the time. Iwant to try those planet waves strap locks. I hear they attach to your strap and you don't need to replace your exsisting strap button. That would slove my problem.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fixing the hole should be easy. Need suggestions?

16. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I fixed the hole, but its still not perfect. I was stupid/lazy and should have fixed the hole situation alot earlier...but i didnt. So i had a monsterous hole in my bass. I put the straplocks back on...theyve been holding up decent since...but i havnt played a show with em yet since the repairs.

17. I am using a planet waves strap on one bass. So far no problems at all. but it does make the bass sit a little different on your shoulder. very minor though

18. I've got Dunlops on my Heir, and they're pretty nice. I tried to put some Schallers on my Streamer, but the screws were to small, and they worked themselves loose.

19. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    If the screw holes are to big or the screw works it's way out. Fill the hole with a few toothpicks and wood glue, then bust of the toothpicks flush with the body of the bass. Put the screw in and it works great.

20. Yeah, I heard that trick after I took them back.:rolleyes: