Straplocks or regular

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by los3r, Jan 28, 2002.

1. los3r

los3r Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    USA, Kentucky
    .I dont know if this is in the right category but oh well, move it if it isnt...
    I have always used a regular strap and never had any problems but about a week and a half ago i bought a Strap the kind that locks. and Well now my "not really sure what its called" the thing i hook the strap to the little screw type thing broke!?...I dont think i should use a lock anymore what do you all think?.:confused:
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but if you've stripped the hole for the strap pin, then you can fill it up with toothpicks & a little bit of wood glue, wait a day for the glue to set, drill a narrower pilot hole into the toothpick filler, and then screw the strap pin back in. I just did that, and so far it works perfectly.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Dude if you only have one bass you play on stage then id just use the regular ones! I mainly use strap locks because i have 3 basses i switch from all the time! Makes for fast move!
  4. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I use straploks on my bass, even though the strap almost never gets removed. It's just more secure. With my first bass, the strap pins eventually stretched out the holes in the strap and it fell off while I was playing.

I recommend straploks to anyone.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mine are a nessecity, due to the bass switching, and the largely active role I play on stage. Regular strap pins would spell certain doom for any of my basses any other way.
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use strap locks on my Gibson Thunderbird because of its tendency for the strap to slip off at the upper attachment. It is kinda scary when you are playing and suddenly you have to grab the neck to keep the bass from dropping to the floor. It happened to me a couple of times before I got the strap locks. I believe the newer Thunderbirds come with them (mine is a '76). I also use it on my Warwick Thumb fretless for the same reason. I don't use them on most of my other basses because I don't have that problem with them.
  7. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    I can second that from the Warwick Thumb. The upper horn is so short that a regular strap would come of really easily. The straplok keeps it nicely in it's place.
    Also not unimportant with a bass of this design beauty (in my opinion at least...), is that the recessed straploks don't break up the smooth contours of the body.

I just love that bass more and more every day:)

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just curious, do you have them now? If they don't come with them, they should. The strap leaves the strap button at an backward angle, and it is a disaster waiting to happen.
  9. Straplocks are definitely worth getting. There are so many stories of basses hitting the floor - ugh!

In the meantime, a couple of rubber washers on the outside of the strap over the ? (strap pins??) may do the job. These can be found on bottles of grolsch (that's handy!), or in fact at the moment I'm using ends cut off from old bicycle handlebar covers - how's that for improvisation?? ..... now where's that sticky backed plastic??..:)