Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straplocks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Every time I put strap locks on a bass, the straplock screw is smaller than the original screw. The original screw never fits through the schaller button. I always end up drilling out the schaller to open it for the screw, then dremelling the screw head to fit into the schaller. This process takes less time that driving to hardware store, but is still annoying. Does everyone run into this, or am I really special like Mom always told me? :hyper:

2. Hey Blisshead,
    I feel your pain!! If you have a metal file and a drill, here is one way to solve the problem...

I took the screws from the bass (heads were too large to fit in the recess of the Schaller buttons) and did this:

-wrap a bit (2 revolutions or so) of electrical tape onto the threads of the screw
    -chuck the screw into a drill (tape prevents the drill chuck from damaging the threads)
    -spin the drill, use a metal file on the spinning screw head

Basically, it's like using your drill as a lathe and the file is the tool that turns down the diameter of the screw head.

Works slick. :ninja:

3. Yep, I'm just as special as you. And, my technique to remedy the situation is the same as yours.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm not alone!!! You've all made me very happy.... :D

5. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I used the strap lock screws but fixed the hole in the bass with some wood glue and a tooth pick.

Travis

6. yeah i have the same problem, for some reason its more of a problem on the bottom end of the body rather than on the horn... the button rotates and i have bought wood filler but after finding out you have to fill it millimeters at a time i felt too lazy to even attempt it =/

7. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    Wood Glue and toothpicks worked on my Lakland!!!
    :bassist:

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I think I'll email this thread link to Schaller....

edit: I emailed them. Just as an FYI about the troubles we run into.

9. wood glue and toothpick always works within minutes.

10. Another vote for wood glue and toothpicks. A heck of a lot simpler than filing the screw head. And... it's reversible...you can alway use a drill to make the hole bigger if you decide to put the original strap buttons back on.

11. hey could you guys tell me how to properly implement this toothpick and woodglue technique?

12. Obviously you start with the screw out of the hole. Then insert a dry toothpick into the hole and mark it where it protrudes from the hole.Cut one,two or three toothpicks just short of the mark. Put wood glue on the cut toothpick(s) and place them in the hole. wipe off any glue that you may get on the body and then screw the straplock button in place. Again, be sure to wipe off any excess glue. That'll do it.

13. :hyper: It worked beautifully!

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I emailed them and they said:

15. thats not even proper english holy ****
    :eek:+ :meh:+ :confused:

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

I believe Schaller is a German company? At any rate I got the gist of it.

17. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Interesting... I'm not partial to Straplocks, so the first thing I did when I got my MIA P last year was to remove the Schallers and replace them with Allparts oversized strap buttons. The screws were identical. :meh:

Tom

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It makes sense that Schaller would model the screw for one of the most popular brands around.

19. Put your drill, toothpicks, glue away, go to hardware store and buy number 6 wood or sheetmetal screw. 1/2 or 3/4 inch longer than original strap peg screw will secure your new Schaller straplock, I have then on 4 instuments. Hope that helps!

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Finally! a candle in the dark. :)

I've seen this same post a lot of times and still marvel at the power of the obvious.

If the screw doesn't fit, simply go to almost any DIY center in the whole world and buy the proper size screw for about a dime.
    Replace the screw and it's business as usual.

If the screw threads failed in the wood, it's probably because the screw is threaded into the end grain of the wood. This is an inherant weakness and toothpicks are a quick and dirty answer to the prob. The end result is that you are still threaded into end grain.
    A MUCH more substantial repair can be accomplished by using a plug cutter to cut a !/4" plug from the face grain of a piece of wood and gluing into the original hole after opening the screw hole with a 1/4" bit. This provides a cross grain for the screw threads to grip into. The straplock button will hide all signs of modification. Yes, this takes longer than using toothpicks. Only you know the quality of work that your bass deserves.

Harrell S.