1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straplocks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Jan 5, 2007.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I put dunlop straplocks on my P-bass a while a go and i didn't really know what i was doing when i put them so I got frustrated when the screws that came with locks were to small for my bass and the orginal screws wouldn't fit in the straplock, so i took the screw that came with it and i glued it in because thats what the guy at the store told me to do when i tried to return them, so i glued it in on the upper horn but on the lower horn for some reason the smaller screw fit and has stayed there until yesterday. Now I don't want to glue in the screw what alternatives do i have?

Brandon

2. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    I've always taken a small wooden dowel or a larger diameter toothpick and filled the hole with that.

find a dowel or toothpick that will fit in the hole- glue that sucker in there and let it dry for a few days- then screw you straplock in there.

I'm sure you'll get a few more refined options, but this has always worked for me. Just make sure you're using a quality wood glue so that you get a good bond between the bass and whatever you decide to fill the hole with.

Good luck.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Insert toothpicks and woodglue into the hole... wait 24 hours, trim the toothpicks flush to the bass and install the screw. Simple as pie.

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

i need to do this as my schallers ripped out of my stingray...wow never buying scallers again...dunlop is the way to go for me

5. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    I'm exactly the opposite- I've had Schallers for years with no problems, but had 2 sets of dunlops fail on me. Whatever floats 'yer boat.

6. do you guys wait with your tooth picks, i just screw mine in straight away....

7. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    I always wait for the glue to dry- i guess your way would work equally as well so long as you resist the temptation to strap up and play for a few days while the glue is still wet.

8. hmm, nope :D i had to do it at a camp once, played 2 hours later....

9. May I add that I decided to put Carvin straplocks on all four of my axes several years ago. There were no modifications needed, and the screws that came with them fit the stock screw-holes fine. They were just perhaps 3mm longer.

The other thing I discovered was that the knob mounted on the instrument can also be used with any strap, just takes a little gentle manuvering to get the leather to fit over it.

10. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    was that at a band camp by any chance? :eek:

I think you probably got lucky on that one- letting the glue dry would seem to be an integral part of the process.

11. Something that has always worked well for me with wood is superglue. Yeah.. It wicks into wood very well and dries fast. Some thin s-glue can wick into wood threads and harden them, keeping them from stripping out. With some toothpicks, I'd probably use some medium or not-too-thick gel or something, but any of it will work.

Mag...

12. Sumosized

Sumosized Learning to lay down a cool groove!!!

Nov 24, 2006
    SW PA
    I use a medium gel superglue on my wood lathe. I know this is not about my bass, but I spin some unbalanced wood at like 2000rpms just 15 min. after using the super glue. I would think a bass and some toothpicks would be fine pretty fast.

BTW, my Schallers didn't fit either. The screw ole on the body was too big. I bought the next size larger wood screw (in black) and drilled out the hole on the knob to make the new screw fit. Worked great.

13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Basses like the avatar shown don't like hitting the floor.
    Since some basses SEEM to have "less strong" wood than others....JB Weld gets put in the screw holes and a bit on the tips before screwing Dunlop Straploc screws in. Yes, the screws get put THROUGH the Straploc button BEFORE JB Weld is applied...

Ain't coming out and ain't no collector...buy 'em to play 'em or they go to eBay.

14. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I have Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue at my house will that work sufficiently?

15. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Yes.

16. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    The repair guy that I take my basses to (also a bass player) says he doesn't use straplocs anymore because the screws are always coming loose. I think it's because the strap pulls on the screw so far away from the bass body (about 1/2 inch for Schallers and 3/4 inch for Dunlops). He convinced me to go to a strap button with "wings" to prevent the strap from slipping off. I never disconnect the straplocs anyway so it won't make any differnce to me (except the screws won't come loose anymore :) )

17. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I dunno about Dunlops, but my Schallers are the same distance from my bass's body as the stock strap buttons, so I don't really buy that argument. I think what is more likely is that either folks put 'em on way too tight, and strip the wood, or the screws are too small, and folks don't recognize that fact . . . .

- Tim

18. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Strap locks rule -- not just because you can snap a strap in/out quickly and securely --- but for me, I often double on another instrument (while looping) and simply sling my bass around behind my back. The bottom button could let go of your strap if it weren't a strap lock. - Mark

19. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Try measuring from the body to the strap. With a stock strap button the strap ends up only about 1/8" from the body. I can post pictures if your not getting my meaning...

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I flushmount my straplocks. They're closer to the body than any buttons can dream to be...