1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straplocks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Jan 5, 2007.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    post a link on those straplocks you use,RAY?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Part AP_6583-001 from allparts.com

3. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Then I would suggest that you've fixed the problem that causes the screws to loosen.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Actually, I didn't have that problem to do it. What got me to do it was Warwick. I saw how nice their basses looked with flushmounts on them. It's neat not having that button stick out. Does it make a big difference? No. But one I notice :).

5. Nothing like seeing your baby swinging away from you with only the tenuous grip of your index finger and thumb keeping it from swatting one of your fans square in the forehead.

I replaced the screws that came with the Schaller locks with 1/2" longer stainless steel screws, and a couple of drops of Chair Loc in the hole to swell the wood snug.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just removed my Schaller and glued in a toothpick with Elmer's Carpenter glue. Waiting till tomorrow to put the screw back in.

7. i wouldnt say this is a schaller problem, id just assume that the schaller screws were too small for the holes currently in your bass...the toothpick trick wouldve taken care of that.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It did for me. Just put my Schaller back in and it is set like concrete.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It is, but standard wood glue dries in a few hours. Besides, the pressure of the screws keeps everything in place.

10. I've always wanted to do this as well, as I'm also a big fan of the über-clean look as well as taking out the "ripping screw from body wood" factor out of the Strap Lock equation and pretty much leaving it up to pure mechanical failure on the locking mechanism (not that I've had a single Dunlop StrapLok fail on me in 17 years and 6 basses ;) ).

Can I ask what your personal trick is to installing them in a bass that's already been clear-coated? Do you simply go very slow with an electric drill to avoid cracking the poly, or is there something more technical (or easy) that I'm missing?

11. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I personally have the best luck with matchsticks, and without using any glue. When I've had to do this in the past it's usually been to one of my bandmate's guitars and right in the middle of our set - haven't had much time or resources to glue anything anywhere. I just keep a few matchstick ends in my gigbag and a screwdriver.

I've never had a problem yet, although reading this thread is making me a bit sick in the stomach.

Oh well... if it falls, it falls. I always hold my basses firmly by the neck, it's not the end of the world if the body dents, as long as the thing stays in one piece :meh:

12. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    I know this is an old thread, but could anyone answer this question for me?: After you have your toothpicks trimmed and your glue dried, do you just screw right in, or do you drill a new hole?

13. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Screw them right in to the same hole.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Me too. usually don't use glue either.

15. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    This is a bit time consuming but the safest way is to overbore the hole repeatedly. Start with a drill bit that is just a bit larger. Rebore the hole. Then move up another step.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Some caveats:

When stepping up drill bit sizes, care should be taken to make small steps, not more than a thirty second of an inch. A sixty-fourth per increase is even better. Riffler files can be used to thin the finish over the existing hole to thin the finish to minimize the risk of cracking.

A cone shaped stone bit like those sold by Dremel or virtually every machine shop supplier can be used to thin the surface without fear of cracking the finish. Simply use the existing hole to pilot the grinding surface into the finish. This procedure will have to be repeated as the hole becomes larger and discontinued prior to achieving maximum diameter.

If the guitar is immobilized accuracy will be easier to achieve.
    The body should be chucked up in a padded vise. This allows two hands to be used on the drill. Electric or hand driven drills can be used.

16. Gracias, 202dy. Unfortunately I don't have the physical equipment to do so on my own (Apartment-dwellers ;) ) but perhaps when I visit my folks or Grandparents I'll bring my basses to convert to flush-mount. :D

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

If a repair guy can't figure out how to keep a straplock installed.... :D

Ask him how he gets a strap button screw to stay in but can't get a straplock screw to stay put.

They're both screws.
    :D

18. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Something's screwed alright.