Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strapping Young Lad

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    New CD out this Tuesday here in the states. Heads up for the Devin Townsend fans.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    :bassist: excellent.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    HUGE Devin Townsend/SYL fan here. My little seven month old daughter absolutely LOVES Physicist.

4. Going to see them on Valentine's Day. The Masquerade in Atlanta. It should be very fun!!!

5. Bought the CD....... 9:30 Tuesday morning. Pretty much as soon as the shop was open. Not that I'm an obsessive.

I'm also going to see them (and the Devin Townsend Band, and Zimmers' Hole) on the 18th of March, when they play in Glasgow.

Anyway..... some kind of review..... it's not City II, but it is ace. Very dense, very thick guitars, and the double bass drum work is awesome. Not much bass though.

It's good. Go buy it!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Same here. I never leave home without a CD with Devin on it.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Good policy. No matter where you are, you have some high quality music.

8. A copy of Terria stays in my car, always.

It just makes the world look better.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yes, it does.

A German reviewer wrote about the Infinity album:

"This album is soo good, that I wish every human being would hear this album at least once in his/her lifetime."

I agree.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, so do I.

11. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Strapping young lad is incredible. Thanks a lot for the heads up Blisshead, I'll be checking out their new CD.

12. I know I'm a little late in noticing this thread. I just got into SYL and Devin's solo albums around Christmas time, and I ended up buying all of his major albums. Looks like I'll have to order this one too.

Has anyone heard of his new one with the Devin Townsend Band? What kind of sound is it? Does it follow Terria, or is it something totally unique? I'll have to order that one too I guess. :)

13. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I remember Devin saying at one point that there would be no other SYL album on his doctors orders...
    Glad he changed his mind.
    *listening to Ocean Machine*

14. I agree too. It's nearly perfect.

And I'm going to see them all (SYL, DTB, Zimmer's Hole) on Tuesday! I can't wait!

(except that I'm seeing Opeth on Friday - after that, the Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday day will just pass so unbelievably slowly :bawl: )