1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straps--how much?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zontar, Feb 17, 2016.

1. $10 or less

2. $11-29

3. $30-49

4. $50-74

5. $75-99

6. $100-199

7. $200+

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    So...
    Just wondering what other people normally spend on straps.

So what is your normal range--as in what are most of your straps on?
    If you made an exception for one more or less expensive than normal--vote for the norm.

And if you also play guitar feel free to include that in your response.

Just wondering what other people normally spend on straps.

I did this on another forum that is more guitar oriented than bass and has fewer member.
    And I am comparing results.

No judgements here-whether you use a cheap piece of string or a elaborate custom flashy strap or anything in between.

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I like MONO straps. They aren't cheap, but they aren't super expensive, either. I don't think I'd ever pay much more than $50 for a strap.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Usually the wider leather/suede straps cost a little more. It's just how it is.

Fortunately I don't flip straps like I do basses!

4. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I have some $10.00 straps and some $85.00 straps. Average just north of $50.00

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I use relatively inexpensive Comfort Strapps and Neotechs. I save the expensive leather for my gig bags.

6. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I have one Gibson FatBoy. $AU187

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I'm paying close to 50- Euro for a Neotech Mega Strap that only cost $28 in the US :(

8. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Well for the record I like straps that are pliable and mould to my shoulder and stay in place--so I tend to buy leather & suede ones that are usually about 3" wide (or a bit wider)
    These are the two piece ones where you weave the one piece through slots in the other to adjust the length.
    Normally they're between $15-25
    I also prefer the solid colour ones--no studs or designs, etc.

9. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Cheap nylon Dunlop strap holds my super featherweight bass just fine

10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I prefer a 3 1/2" Levy like this
    <<--

11. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I voted $50-$74 because I spent that on one good, wide, padded, leather strap which I use for all of my basses.

I have several cheap, under $10 straps as backups, but only one good strap.

12. Every bass i own is equipped with a Neotech Mega Bass strap!

13. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Levi leather slit and loop straps serve me well. A Jazz maple/maple/maple and a P maple/maple/maple are my heaviest basses.

zontar likes this.
  14. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I've told this story before, so forgive me, if you will?
    Up until about 10 years ago I owned one bass... my '73 4001.
    I'd used the same 2 1/2" leather strap for at least 20 years. A band mate gave it to me as a birthday present.
    Call it a function of age, or the advent of eBay, or both kids getting out of college...I / we started finding bass guitars that I wanted and could afford. My Bride calls me the king of the $400 bass.
    I'm up to 9 now...one of them is anEUB.
    I still use that same strap for the Ric. I brought it to a local shoe repair shop and asked my new friend to trace it onto a piece of scrap leather. He charged me $20. I've got 7 of them now...different shades of brown to match the guitar, a matte-looking black and a shiny black one. He's made them from thicker and thinner, more flexible pieces of leather, depending on the weight of the individual guitar I bring to his shop. He's really proud of the way he finishes the leather to compliment the finish/ color of the guitar. The price has never changed.
    I feel like a pretty lucky guy!:thumbsup:

zontar likes this.
  15. I got a lot of straps free with the basses they came on. I've also bought one as cheap as $4, and my most expensive one is the Comfort Strapp, which was $35.
    I never really understood the draw of big expensive straps, but to each their own.

zontar likes this.