Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straps, what do you use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santa Kraut, Aug 31, 2002.

1. I don't know if this is in the right forum so I'm going to ask it here. I've been looking around for a new strap because my old nylon one isn't cutting it anymore. I was wondering if any of you folks could recommend a nice padded strap or tell me about the one you use. Thanks!

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I use standard MIF(made in Finland) 3" wide leather strap with Schaller straplocks. In my opinion, just get wide enough strap and it should be quite comfy.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Comfort Strapp with two p's

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm with CS on this one - I had a non-cancerous tumor removed from my back in 1997 (taking the better parts of the T-7 to T-9 vertebrae in the process), and Comfort Strapps are the only strap on the market that allow me to play my heavy six-string for an extended period of time. The thickness of the neoprene plus the weight distribution of the 3" strap equal comfort.

Expensive, yes... but worth every penny. :D

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A simple black leather strap made by Sunshine. It's not padded, but it's more than 10 cm wide - which is much more important IMO.

I usually have to shorten the straps to accommodate me, so a simple leather strap is the best choice for me, since you can cut it like you want to.

6. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Fender Neoprene Bass Strap. I is VERY comfy, but I only play a 4 stringer...... I like the way I can get my bass snug and close to my body, then play it for hours with no back ache

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use a Slider Strap.
    My back thanks me.
    [​IMG]

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm with CS and Scarred on this one. I've used the Comfort Strapp for about 8 years. It's the best that I've found.:D By the way, I've looked in vane to find another. Anyone know who keeps Comfort Strapp's in stock so I can order a spare?

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I asked a similar question a year or so ago on TB. Many folks recommended the Comfort Strap. I went out and got one and have used it ever since. They work really well.

I tried the Slider strap also; It was an interesting idea but I had trouble getting the bass to hang correctly on my body. Though, it could have just been me...

10. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Comfort Strapps here too after seeing Laurence Mollerup and some other pros using them....

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Comfort Strapp w/ Schaller locks

12. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Wide Padded Levy

13. For me, there's no alternative to the Comfort Strapp. I hate traditional strap logs because they put so much torque on the strap button and I'm always afraid that it's going to come loose. The Comfort Strapp has a built-in strap-lock in the form of a second hole which is folded over and attached on top of the first one. It also doesn't twist around easily so you can take your bass off and not worry about how to untwist your strap. The only downside is that it is a little more time consuming to take off. I just leave mine on all the time ( on the bass, that is ) anyway so it doesn't matter. The texture of the shoulder part of the strap will keep it from sliding so if you have a neck-heavy bass, it won't take a dive as easily.

I do have Slider straps with strap-locks for my Warr guitars though. Sliders are really good for heavier instruments.

- Dave

14. I use Earth leather straps, a 3" wide for my Jazz and my P-clone and a 2" currently on my (much lighter) Reverend. Both are equipped with Schaller strap locks. Both straps are 10+ years old and will likely be going strong longer than I will.

15. Yah! What a bunch of old women! Comfort straps, sliding straps, double gusseted incontinence straps...

Hopeless.

Used to be a time, men played bass!

I use a length of old washing line.

Actually, I use one of those ordinary Fender monogrammed straps, a couple of inches wide, which does the job fine, even on my large and heavy five string. With, of course, straplocks. Any problems I have standing up at the end of a 3 hour gig are entirely alcohol induced.

16. BBB

BBB

Aug 24, 2002
    buh ... some low budget strap, few inches wide with some duct tape to keep it in place. does the job very wel.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Something at least 2 1/2" wide, preferably padded. One of these days I am going to order one of those Comfort Strapps.

18. I have been using the cheap Ernie Ball straps (like $5) with schaller strap locks. They are fine until I pull out my Jazz V and my shoulder gets sore. Might have to check out this Comfort Strapp.

jtbp

19. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Comfort Strapp... comortable as hell...

20. Thanks for all the input. When I go to my local guitar shop I check and see if they carry any comfort strapps.