Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by camerondye, Mar 6, 2001.

1. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I am getting a new purple Musicman stingray 5 string fretless tomorrow, I use a Levy's leather strap right now, I am asking if there are any other good straps out there that would be more comfortable with a kinda heavy bass. Does anybody use the Comfort Strap?
  2. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I just got a Neotech bass strap from Musician's Friend that I like a lot. I has the right amount of comfort without too much rubbery bounce, and it's about $20.
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I don't use leather straps, but I like the look of them though. Sometimes, they are just a bit pricey and since they have nothing to do with my sound, I don't invest much in them. Sorry I can't make a good leather suggestion.

I'm also pretty big, so my shoulder likes a W-I-D-E strap. I have been using the bass series straps in the planet waves line.

They make one that is a tubular piece of soft nylon with a big pad embedded in it. It's got an enormous amount of slack in it too, so you can adjust anywhere from under your neck to below the knees.

I think the model # is 74T. It's pretty comfortable and basic black, which is fine for me. I think I paid $18 or something for it. I put Schallers on it and I just switch it between my basses with Schaller buttons on em.

Good luck! :)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mine's extremely comfortable but it's expensive and custom made, (a gift). It's made by Joel Marks at You pick or make the design, specify length, width, adjustable/non-adjustable, etc. Besides being well padded, you determine how you want the strap to make the bass hang on your body. I like it above waist but I wear 35 1/2" sleeves, so the custom thing worked out much better for me than off the shelf. He makes straps for a lot of big name artists.
  5. I have gone through a lot of straps. (I have a MM 5 too). The best one is the Levy MSS1Z. It's lightly padded leather and 3 1/4" wide. It cost $50. but worth it.
  6. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
  7. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I APE, thats a Levy's strap or a pretty close copy.
  8. Ya...looks like my strap, only mine is all black & is a Levy's. :D
    Speaking of straps...there is almost no such thing as a 'normal' strap in Hong Kong. Every time I go in Tom Lee's I always take a peek at their straps, since I only have one right now, and it gets irritating when I have to change basses I have to take the strap off the first and on the second.
    They have fat straps with chili peppers on 'em...
    or pizza...
    or smiley faces (well, they're kinda cool, but I'm not so keen on a smiley strap with one of my basses. :p)
    or all sorts of other stuff. Oh well. Next time I'm in the US I'm stopping by somewhere to get me another nice fat plain leather strap. :D
  9. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    The strap that lull4lall mentioned, the neotech, seems to be the best 'value for comfort' strap I've seen and used....
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I just don't see spending more than $20 on a strap so long as it's comfortable and doesn't have cooky designs on it.

I try not to get into that whole "keeping up with the Jones'es" with equipment...especially stuff that has nothing to do with sound.

Even the guy that started the thread said he uses Levys and he wants to know if there's something 'more' comfortable out there.

At the end of the day, who's going to remember the strap you had on? Just be comfortable so you can play! :)
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Check the archives, there's been a thread on this already (I'm not being cantankerous, just trying to help you get more info).

Short answer from me: I've got a Comfort Strapp on both of my moderately heavy (~11 lbs each) basses. Best $40 I've ever spent. I used to play 6 hrs at a stretch (well, 6-45 minutes sets a nite ;) ) 5 nites a week. Never got a sore shoulder or tired back. Get one, you won't be sorry you spent the money, and it's NOT just "keeping up with the Jones'", it really works :D.
  12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    It even 'looks' comfy in the pic. I would spend more than $20 if it were totally worth it because I switch the same strap out between my basses anyway.

Maybe I'll get around to trying on of those, thanks.
  13. both of my straps are cheap plain black Ernie Ball straps that i have duct taped to my guitars
  14. I love Neotech, but it's too short if you hang your bass down by your knees.
  15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I realize that the strap doesn't affect your sound, but it definitely affects the way you play!! I've had to play for about an hour straight before (I realize not too long for some of you pro's, but when ya got no meat on yer shoulders it seems like days:D). Right now I'm using a plain old Fender polyester (I think) strap. I'm gonna ask my parents for a real nice leather strap for christmas though...this one is just not cuttin it for the length I have to play sometimes.
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I said it has nothing to do with the sound...but I also said it's all about being comfortable in that post.

I have strap locks attached to the one I like best now, so I just switch it out between all my basses. That's one of the best added features with strap locks.

If you get extra sets of buttons, you just throw them on all your basses and you're ready to sling up any of them at any time. :)
  17. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    I've got a Dimarzio clip lock strap. Its nice and long and it feels secure. I dont have to worry about it breaking or falling off. Its not the most comfy strap out there, but I can deal with the pain after a while. DONT BE A WUSS! :D
  18. I had a friend put the strap you're talking about on his treasured old Tele. I was skeptical of the plastic clips (had more than a few fail on luggage), but he insisted it was a great idea. One good drop was enough to drive him to Schallers.
  19. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I would like to hear you saying that after your pains have become chronic... :p

I have some ugly, brown, el cheapo padded leather strap that came with my first own bass (~3½ years ago). It's been very nice to my shoulder, but my basses are fairly light (not like the infamous doubleneck owned by you-know-who). If I were to buy a heavier bass, I would get the strap with the thickest padding I could get. The more the merrier. And if the bass neck-dives, that should not be adjusted with a strap. I would get rid of the bass.