Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straps

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Jul 17, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    After reading the strap positioning poll, I got to wondering about straps, again.

I've been using this Yamaha 3" leather strap for almost a year and a half with my Ibanez SR506 (fairly hefty bass), and it's not a padded strap. I believe it is adding to my shoulder cramping and stress, and I'm starting to look for a better strap.

I like wide, but I want it as comfy as possible. I want my bass to feel lighter, and balance better. This is why I've been thinking about a Slider Dual-Shoulder Strap (I believe that's the name). Any experience with this device? I was just thinking that having the weight distributed over both shoulders would greatly reduce stress.

Can I get some help? I'm 17, been bassing for 2 and a half years, and it's already killing me physically. What should I do!?!? :confused:

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    try a 4 inch strap with padding, i'll give you a review when my slapstrap arrives.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Try a Comfort Strapp. They are a little stretchy and this makes the bass seem lighter somehow. I was getting bad back spasms after standing all night with a 5 string. When I got the Comfort Strapp, my problem largely disappeared.

4. i'm interested in this comfort strapp..

does anybody know an online store that sells them and ships internationally?

(sorry for the hijack)

andy.

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    +1 for the Comfort Strapp! :hyper:
    It comes in three lenght versions so you'd may choose it accordingly with your axe's height (AFAIK,the Neoprene pad has the same lenght but the mobile strap has different dimensions):
    http://www.comfortstrapp.com/
    I had some shoulder issues with my Yamaha TRB JP (wich isn't the heaviest,nor the lightest 6-string on the market...but...) 'till I got the Comfort Strapp.Since then,I can jig without ANY problems whatever it takes.Like my guitarist use to say,"...this is a strap that,once attached to an axe,you could sleep with it" :D
    Just Google a little and you'll surely find a convenient distributor.However,I noticed that some dealers have only a version or two so you'll have to write some inquiry mails.
    Good luck!
    Regards,

6. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks a ton guys, I'm looking into both the Comfort Strapp and the Slapstrap. It'll all come down to which is cheaper.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I went looking for a new strap even though I already had a Comfort Strap. I've started using 2 basses at gigs and wanted a 2nd strap instead of switching basses and the one strap at gigs. I thought I would like a real wide strap but when I tried some 3 1/2" to 4" straps I found that the way I hold my bass made the strap rub against my neck. When I slid the strap away from my neck it sat on my shoulder pin. It felt very uncomfortable, esp the leather ones that rubbed my neck. The 3" straps felt better but the nice leather Levis straps were about 50 bucks. I found a 3", smooth leather, padded, Yamaha strap online (music123)for about $38. Also did not like the suede backed straps as they stained my white T-shirts at outdoor gigs from this sweatbox we call Houston. The comfort strap works well, got it at a GC awhile back for about $35 or so. But recently started having shoulder pain, I may need to look into that double cross strap I've seen advertised.

8. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I should be ordering my Comfort Strapp this weekend or sometime soon, I'll let you all know how it works for me.

9. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i have the slapstrap, very comfy strap, adjust the length how you want it. i highly recommend it!

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    just saw the advert in my BP for that dual crossed strap, Slider. Now what is the SlapStrap? Where can I see one of these online? Whats their gimmick to make them so comfortable?

11. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway