Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strapture straps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebass!, Jun 5, 2003.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Interesting...

Might have to try one when I get my Conklin 8 string..

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You know I had an idea to do something like this...seriously. There goes that I guess.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Definitely interesting.

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    After battling my neck heavy ASAT's I came up with the ASAT Strap Extension. So when I stumbled on the Strapture strap at the Indy Guitar Show I had to check it out. Have to admit I never thought about this concept. It works well but better on very light guitars rather than heavy ones. The inventor [can't remember his name] was a great guy. It is perfect for accoustic guitars but felt unsubstantial on a bass. I hope he does well. Certainly worth trying.
    Dan

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    hey, it's gotta be good: he pictures a reverend rumblefish 4 string as his bass!:D

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I saw it and briefly tried it at NAMM. I would agree that it would probably work better on an acoustic guitar than a bass

Mike

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is there a way to "lock" the slider on the secondary strap? If not, I'd be worried with a heavy instrument that a shift in position would cause it to "zip" up to the upper end - you could get a headstock in the teeth that way! :eek:

If it's lockable though, I'd like to try it - as it is, the way I hold my bass the butt end sticks out a bit and it's a bit funny that the strap reaches all the way out there.

Actually, scratch that: my basses balance perfectly and this would change that. Hmm. Oh well! :)

9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in this considering how many people have expressed dissatisfaction with heavy or unbalanced basses. I'm interested but not enough to take a chance on buying one without even one favorable comment from a bass player. Maybe others feel the same way. For now I guess I'll stick with my MPG Level 5 - one of the few lightweight basses I've played that balances perfectly and sounds good.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, at least the guy has good taste in basses:

[​IMG]

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    good point. Having said that, I've been using Comfort Strapp's for a while now and they have been a huge help with my N/T Thumb 5.

I'm guessing I'm saying I have a solution to my problem that I'm happy with so I'm sticking to it :)

Now, if I could only apply that logic to the rest of my setup (basses/amps/effects etc) :rolleyes:

12. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    yeah I use a comfort strapp too. I have boney shoulders so I need it. What other gear problems do you have. I've been through a lot. Maybe I can help.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No other problems, apart from my mental one: I just wish sometimes I could sit back and say "ok, this is good enough. You have a very good setup, only other musicians will notice any changes you make. No need to tryout other basses/pedals/amps".
    :)

14. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Anybody had success contacting the Strapture guy and actually buying one of the straps? I've been trying and been unable to get a response to email or voicemail messages. I'd really like to try one out on my Godin A4.

I've found the necessary parts to cobble together an equivalent to see if the concept is going to work for me. But I'd rather have bought one of the real ones (and still will if the kludged version works for me and they ever contact me back).

15. craigb

Well I cobbled together what I think is an equivalent getup on my Godin A4 tonight. And I think it rules! I can make it balance however I want and it has moved to the right which puts the neck in a much better spot for me (not as big a reach to the first fret as it was with a regular strap - because of the lack of an upper horn).

I don't know how well it would work on a heavier or smaller bodied bass but on the semihollow A4 it's the bees knees (or something like that).

My parts list included:

2 Dunlop dual-design straplock buttons (out of my parts box)
    1 Dunlop straplock on front end of strap (parts box)
    some nylon cord (green - it's what I had in the garage)
    1 leather strap extremely shortened
    1 Planet Waves acoustic guitar thingy ($3.25 from MF)

So for a grand total out-of-pocket expenditure of $3.25 I've confirmed that a Strapture-like system is what I need on the A4. I may add some pads where the string goes across the body corners to protect against rubbing. But I love the way it makes the A4 more playable for me.

And if I can ever locate/contact someone who will actually sell me a Strapture I'll buy one (or two!).

Some leather strap ends would really make it sweet - they'd go across the body corners and avoid having the string rubbing there. Anybody got nice black leather strap ends or a source for them? Maybe I'll have to track down a cheap strap or two and sacrifice it on the altar of making a better homegrown version. Musicyo sells some inexpensive and reasonable quality straps . . .

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Got a kick out of the guy in the pics - Happiness is a warm bong, fer shur, man!

[​IMG]

17. craigb

Well I managed to get a hold of the real thing (Google is a useful thing). Dennis at Adirondack Guitars had one, the deluxe model, in stock (and made me a good deal on it). So far I like it better than my cobbled together version - the wide neoprene strap is very comfortable. I did have to re-rig the back end strap to get it longer (it was tripled up through the locking thing and I had to undo that and single it up to get some more length). The string tightener is ingenious but time will tell if it holds up.

All in all it's a great piece of gear for use with my Godin A4 - and now I don't fear getting other neck-heavy similar basses (Dipinto Belvedere anyone?) in the future since I know there's a good solution.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll stick with my Ernie Ball straps. :D