1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strat bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamprowla, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    I've got a spare (Squier) neck and have been wondering whether it would fit a Strat body - is the body long enough to fit the bridge?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The neck won't fit without modifications. As far as enough room to relocate the bridge, it's doable. People come up with all kinds of workarounds to place a bridge where it needs to be to intonate properly on the kind of bass you want.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The neck pockets are different sizes, so routing required there. Not sure the body is long enough though, I haven't been able to find any specifications with the pocket to bridge measurement, but it's 8.875 for the Strat, looks like a P bass needs 10-11" - might be adequate room, there's some "dead space" behind the bridge on the strat body.

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    So one question is, what do you put in the bridge cavity? Well, no cavity on a fixed bridge, I guess, but still screw holes to think about. I'm thinking adding a 4th pickup might be the solution. :)

5. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    There are some blank bodies going on ebay for not too much, so really just a case of getting the neck to fit, drilling 5 holes for the bridge and then figuring out where to put the pickup(s) in-between; it needn't be three Strat pickups, or even a Strat scratchplate.
    It's just a random idea rather than a proper plan, for now...

TolerancEJ and bholder like this.
  6. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'd strongly recommend a bass body with an appropriately sized neck pocket. Getting a neck pocket right is tough.

However, if you want to try this without putting much skin in the game, you might find a good cheap donor body in GFS's factory 2nds buyout.
    Factory Buyout Clearance Sale.
    There's one or two up now that are finished in white, but not drilled for a bridge.
    Here's a real oddball for $20 with control cavity and paint but no bridge that might be perfect though it would still need a pickguard.
    Gloss Finished, Artic White, Double Cutway Body
    If you don't see what you want check back every few days as they're always adding more stuff.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    stratobass.

This is a 30" bronco neck. I'm not sure a 34" neck would fit. Neck pocket had to be enlarged.

8. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That looks really awesome, but it does lend some credence to the idea that a true strat body might be too short. It doesn't look like there is 4" of available space at the bottom of that body! At least not if you wanted to solidly anchor the bridge.

9. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know the exact amount of extra space that would be required to put a 34" neck on, but I don't think it would be the full 4". A longer neck is going to push the nut further away too. Probably more like 2", or maybe even a little less. The space could be there, but it might not be too.

bholder likes this.
  10. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    StratoBaster...Squier hardtail body, LH 32" SX neck.

StratoBasster32_zpsihts2qnk.
    IMO there's not enough room for a 34" neck unless you filled the neck pocket and moved it out about an inch. I just measured.

edit: actually I think you could get it to work with a standard bent bridge, just barely.

11. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That's lovely too!

I think if you used a large bridge with a long adjustability range and mid-mounted screws like a Badass II or Omega you could make 34" work just fine. You might even be able to keep the entire bridge just barely on the body.

It also bears mentioning that on a Strat body a 34" neck will dive like a herd of lemmings.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Dang. That. Is. Hawt. drool

Dadagoboi likes this.
  13. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Thanks! It was a one day project on a Luthier's corner challenge a while back. This is before the finishing touches.

DSC02023.

14. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    Stratobaster - now there's a name!

I like those two pictured ones; they make you look twice!

Yes, it's just be the standard bent bridge.

Dadagoboi likes this.
  15. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I laughed way too hard at that.

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Flip it over and fill the trem cavity with some molten lead. It'll balance just fine then.

bholder and Duder like this.
  17. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    MOLTEN LEAD

...would make it the best strat bass for metal.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  18. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Scientifically speaking it would be the best bass for "Heavy Metal"...

Dean N likes this.
  19. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Wot do the strat basses sound like? Can you describe the tone?

20. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Best heavy metal for bass?