1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

STRAT HUMBUCKER IN A SQUIRE BASS ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mookie stinks, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    helloooo - i usually just lurk here on the boards but i wanted to ask this question to see if anyone has done this and what the outcome was...

i wanted to attempt to put a strat (guitar)humbucker on my squire bass.

i have a new bass coming (ameri standard p ) so rather then just sell it for dirt or let it sit i was going to try some different things.

i like having a little distortion/fuzz/dirty sound in my rig so i wanted to know what adding a guitar humbucker would do.

it would be added to the squire P - so the original pickup would remain and i would just add the bucker - not sure on the wiring as of now - im only in the planning//gathering idea stages. would like to have an on/off toggle and 1 volume for the bucker-- im no wiring expert either so i would have to figure it out........ anyone done/seen this ? :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    TREBLE

3. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    ??

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    This has bad idea written all over it.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Fender already sells basses with a guitar pickup inside. They sound terrible.

Ex. Squier Bronco.

6. apehead

apehead

Aug 19, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    I say go for it. Who the hell cares if it sounds bad, it's just a Squire... and who knows, it may sound good. I have a buddy who used an old Kent bass pickup (and body for that matter) to fabricate a fraken-guitar, and it sounds O.K. Just make sure the pole pieces are all flush (if they adjust) and BAM! magic bar magnet pickup. BTW, the Squier Bronco sounds like sh*t because it's a Squire Bronco!! I can think of another, older bass that uses a guitar pickup - the Fender Musicmaster Bass, and a few folks like them just fine.

7. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008

yeap! the idea is maybe it will turn out good and i wont have to worry about extra pedals/batteries/cables etc to get a little bit of fuzzy distort in the sound. i know the thing is just going to sit collecting dust after i get my new P so its something ive always wondered about trying - using a guitar pickup in a bass. i dont have the humbucker yet but they go for pretty cheap on the ebay and i dont mind spending 30 - 40 bucks for a project...hell if it doesnt work - ill have some extra guitar parts and ill make a squire guitar out of a squire bass! :bag::D

8. apehead

apehead

Aug 19, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    If you want some fuzz all the time, you might want to try to find the Jack Bruce/Dan Armstrong on board diode fuzz mod. I read about in passing, but I'm sure if you do a search on the net, you can find a wiring diagram. Jack Bruce wanted to simulate the sound of an overdriven amp w/o all the volume.

9. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    Yes ! thats what im talking about...... im gonna search BUT if anyone already knows who/where would have this then lemme know!

thanks!

10. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    edit - im still gonna search for that jack bruce / armstrong thing BUT my original plan was to do this while i waited for my new ameri standard P that i was told was on backorder for 2 - 3 weeks a few days ago and it just showed up - literally! wooohoo !

heres a crappy phone pic - i havent even touched it yet !
    v403ub.

11. you will not get any fuzzy or dirty sound if you use the guitar pickup into a bass amp, since the gain stage does not break up that easily on a bass amp as compared to a guitar amp.