Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stratocaster replacement neck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm looking for a replacement neck for my Fender MIM Stratocaster, preferably a full Maple one.

What's the tonal/price difference between a full maple and a rosewood fretboard neck?

Also, what would be a good place to buy one? Directly from Fender or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All are the same as a bass, as far as tone goes. Rosewood is more mellow, maple tends to be a bit snappier.

Likewise, they come from the same sources: Warmoth.com, mightymite.com, allparts.com, stewmac.com, etc.

Fender no longer sells replacement necks or bodies.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I vote that you talk with Tommy @ USA Custom Guitar.

When I built my Telecaster he was increadibly cool to work with and totally played up my OCD side by fielding about 25 vintage telecaster neck measurements and throwing in his own examples to get the "perfect" neck dimmension. Not to mention that he allowed me to send him the proper clay dots for the neck and found a super piece of Brazilian rosewood for me.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have a picture?

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Happy to oblige!

The guitar is built to 1964 spec, except for the pickups and the body wood (super light swamp ash @3.3lbs). Even the serial number matches to the year, but is a number significant to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finish is nitro in ice blue metallic, with appropriately aged clearcoat and checking...by Mark Jenny AKA MJTele. All other parts distressed, aged by me, all assembly by me. For the record, some of the super shiny parts in the pictures were aged after the pics.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    VERY Sexy. I'm definately a Tele lover for sure.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Thanks...she's a screamer too.

The pickups are a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster Bridge and a DiMarzio Twang King. The SD has the meat that late 50's teles lack, and the TK never gets muddy