1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stratus tab?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by laboitenoire, Oct 6, 2006.

1. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Alright, I've been trying to find a tab for Stratus by Billy Cobham ever since I heard Jeff Beck and his current group play it. It's a very cool bass line, but nobody has a tab for it.

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It's a very simple line - not many actual notes in it - it's just a case of getting the timing right - which Tab won't help you with...?

I would have thought that listening to the original Billy Cobham recording where the bass is very loud and playing along with it - that most people would get it very quickly?

Too easy for Tab!! :p

4. the main line is:

||:B A B F# A B B A B A B F# A B B A :||

all sixteenth, 80bpm

the chorus is near the same as the guitar, but an octave below

LeeNunn likes this.
  5. bruce sorensen

bruce sorensen

Feb 22, 2010
    This is the way I've always played it too on the E&A strings, but I came across a version on youtube played on just the E string with an E substituting for the F#. I believe this is incorrect but listening to several versions it's hard to tell.

6. It's F#

7. slagheap and foal30 like this.
  8. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    There is an issue of Bass Player magazine where he says and it's also notated as F.

9. for those following the Sklar postings, Albert Anguela Rosell (on FB) is generously providing notated scores in pdf

slagheap, Seanmo and oldrocker like this.
  10. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    Aidan Hampson has a book of 9 Sklar tunes accurately transcribed- standard notation tabs and chords.

The book includes "Stratus" Download the book for $15

I can recommend all of Hampson's work to others. (unpaid and unsolicited endorsement)

11. Thank you! Looked over by Mr Sklar himself, I might add. :)

EarnestTBass, slagheap and LeeNunn like this.
  12. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    This sure looks like an F# in the video. Then I wondered, maybe Lee tuned the E string down a half step for some unknown reason. Nope. Slowing down the recording confirms it's an F#. Or I'm just crazy.

Either way, it's a great bass line.

13. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011

14. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    That guy in the video is not playing all of the same exact notes Mr. Hampson has in the transcription.

Somebody (not me) should tell him to play it right.

Seanmo, slagheap and LeeNunn like this.
  15. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    I second the endorsement. I have a couple of his books.

AidanHampson likes this.
  16. Thank you!!

17. Seanmo

Seanmo

Jul 26, 2015
    For what it's worth, a guy on Facebook in Europe is transcribing Leland's "bass covers" and I used the BB King/Bobby Bland one to try to make a custom for Rocksmith and it became clear quickly that Leland wasn't really playing the line as played on the original recording even though he was playing "over" the original recording.

I too can vouch for the accuracy of Aidan's transcriptions. And I am loving the daily videos from Leland.

EarnestTBass likes this.
  18. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    This is one measure of the recording, slowed down to 50%.

Attached Files:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021