Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stravinsky Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Gunnar Þór, Sep 21, 2002.

1. PortraitOfTracy just told me of a bass solo by Stravinsky that is supposed to be very good. Since internet searches came up with nothing I figured at least some of the DB cats know what I'm talking about. Do you?

Thanks,
    Gunnar.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I just remember hearing a stravinsky bass solo that i heard a friend play about 2 years ago. I can't remember the title, but it was in Russian, iirc. I saw the sheet music and it was in treble and c clef, iirc. I believe it was or parts of it was in harmonic minor.

3. dcardon

dcardon

Jan 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    Are you thinking of the bass solo in Pulcinella?

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    POTRAIT OF LYDIAN DOMINANT and LUNAR SPORE: I'll assume that you both posted these threads on your own without knowledge of the other with no intent of doubled posting. Still, they're the same thread, so I'll merge them.

As regards your question, I don't know offhand of any Stravinsky pieces for Double Bass solo, but what you may be thinking of is the famous "Dancing Bear" music from Petrouchka (also spelled "Petrushka" if'n yer an Uhmurrikin). It wasn't written for bass (it's an orchestral work), but it did feature a low wind instrument....my memory fails me-it was either Tuba or Contrabassoon, I think, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, a Google search should turn up more if that's what you're thinking of.

Anybody else have any guesses?

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Is pulcinella on the cd where Bernstein conducts the new york philharmonic for "Rite of Spring?"

I don't beleive it is in Petrouchka, but i'll go fish that cd out if i can find it.

EDIT: I just listened to the "Peasant with Bear" dance and that wasn't it. I think my liner notes are poorly translated. ("wet nurses' dance" huh?)

6. dcardon

dcardon

Jan 31, 2002
    New York, NY
  7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks for your replies, but I still haven't found it :( . On a more positive note, i now have Firebird/ petrouchka and rite of spring/pulcinella in my CD changer :) .

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I found this, from the UK Double Bass syllabus, in about 30 seconds on Google :

Stravinsky : Vivo (from 'Pulcinella Suite'). No.32 from
    Double Bass Solo 2, arr. Hartley (O.U.P.)

Try this link :

http://www.abrsm.ac.uk/asp/doublebass.asp?exam=Double Bass GRADE 8

Or are we talking about the fact that Jaco's solo in Havona quotes from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring?

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    No no-- it wasn't jaco's solo, I would have known that the moment i heard the first note. But this solo was definately stravinsky. The title was using the russian alphabet (consisting of letters i have no idea how to pronounce or write). I'm pretty sure it was written as a bass solo with no back-up parts, but i'm a little shady (hey, it has been 2 years since i've heard it.)

10. The only particularly significant Stravinsky bass solo is indeed the solo from Pulcinella, most commonly found in the Pullcinella Suite.

It is for complete orchestra with the double bass being the primary melody instrument for that movement (although the trombone doubles some of it rather prominently at times).

It is a rather rough and agressive solo relatively speaking (much of it is fortissimo and heavily accented).

It is also quite tonal, in case you're wondering. Pulcinella is more of a "neo-classical" style rather than some of the more "modern" sounding Stravinsky.

11. In a rehearsal of Pulcinella, Stravinsky once told,
    more or less, that the bass wasn't supposed to
    be heard.

The acoustic opposition d.bass/trombone would be in fact a very bad joke (in my opinion) of the composer.

Heard that rehearsal once on the radio (archive recording).

Pulcinella is a kind of rewriting of various Italian baroque pieces. The trombone solo comes frome a Pergolesi sonata, which was transcribed for bass and piano by Lucas Drew, a.o.

12. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    I had the opportunity to play the Pulcinella solo a few years ago and I watch a video of the public access TV broadcast of the concert and I was reminded that the general population doesn't really think of bass solos as important. The broadcast seemed to be editied in real time so they couldn't use alternate angles or anything. The bass solo starts and the one camera shows the last stand playing the accompaniment part! Then it cuts to the trumpet and trombone player that were pretty much just sitting there not playing. FINALLY the camera in the balcony figured out what was going on and filmed a bit over my shoulder in time to catch the ending. I was a tad annoyed.

It sounds like we're speaking of the Pulicnella solo to me. Besides the Drew edition, Klaus Trumpf recently put out an edition of the Pergolesi sonata too.

Or maybe the Soldier's Tale is the solo in question? I can't think of anything else.