1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strawberry letter 23

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chili, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Hey all, to those who know how to play this, u no the outro? and parts inbetween the song, but ill just stick with the outro so u what which bit am talkin about, is there 2 basses bein used? when i listen really carefull to the bass part it sounds like there could be 2 basses? i no how to play that bit basicly coz he used it on his bass licks video, but its just a variation of it he does

also i just realized this song is on pulp fiction for a little bit lol

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I play this song a lot. If it's the part I think you're talking about, I believe that George is doubling Louis' bass lick on part of it with the lower range on his guitar. Not two basses, just a bass and a guitar doing similar licks. First Louis is doing chromatic octave pops from G on the E string to C on the A string. Then comes the part that sometimes Louis plays on bass and sometimes George plays on guitar. On bass it starts out on Eb on the A string and arpeggiates ( is that a word?) Eb - Db -Ab - Bb Eb - F - Eb - C. Those last eight notes are played on the D & G strings. Rinse. Repeat. There's a ghost thump somewhere in there, at least that's the way I do it. Typical lifts and and hammer-ons when playing adjacent pairs of notes. I don't know a better way to describe what's going on there short of tabbing it out.

Peace,

James