Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strawberry letter 23

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chili, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Hey all, to those who know how to play this, u no the outro? and parts inbetween the song, but ill just stick with the outro so u what which bit am talkin about, is there 2 basses bein used? when i listen really carefull to the bass part it sounds like there could be 2 basses? i no how to play that bit basicly coz he used it on his bass licks video, but its just a variation of it he does

also i just realized this song is on pulp fiction for a little bit lol

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I play this song a lot. If it's the part I think you're talking about, I believe that George is doubling Louis' bass lick on part of it with the lower range on his guitar. Not two basses, just a bass and a guitar doing similar licks. First Louis is doing chromatic octave pops from G on the E string to C on the A string. Then comes the part that sometimes Louis plays on bass and sometimes George plays on guitar. On bass it starts out on Eb on the A string and arpeggiates ( is that a word?) Eb - Db -Ab - Bb Eb - F - Eb - C. Those last eight notes are played on the D & G strings. Rinse. Repeat. There's a ghost thump somewhere in there, at least that's the way I do it. Typical lifts and and hammer-ons when playing adjacent pairs of notes. I don't know a better way to describe what's going on there short of tabbing it out.

Peace,

James