Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streamer LX vs Streamer Stage I (6 String)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi To all,
    I was wondering how different they sound and feel.
    Im planning to upgrade my LX6 to an SSI soon.
    I love my LX6 but I have always wanted a Warwick Neck Trough.
    I love the SSII but its not available in 6 String.
    Does the Maple/Bubinga neck sound and feel better than the Ovangkol in the LX?

Any thoughts will be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    also remember that the ss1 6 is only available in broadneck.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    IMO, you'd get a better lowend prescence with the LX.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Luis.. I had a warwick ssi 5 and that thing was HEAVY as hell. Its solid maple buddy. So the sound tone will change from the other Warwicks you might have played.

The 5 string killed my hand/arm/shoulders. I dunno what the 6 string will do

Good luck!
    DM

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, both weight the same, do that wont be such an issue.

I know about the broadneck, but I thought It may be good for me to stretch my hands a little more, the LX6 Is already big, but I think I could handle de SSI´s neck.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    is the Streamer LX neck broad? seriously the Stage I necks are HUGE.. 20mm at the nut for each string.. I dunno about the 6 strings but that was it for the 5 strings..

DM

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no, unless you specify it the LX has the normal "tight" warwick spacing (16.5 mm at the bridge)

you CAN get it broadneck though

8. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    I saw that you mentioned that you love the SS2 but it isn't available in a 6-string. I've asked Warwick about custom work before(this was 3-4 years ago, I don't know if they have changed their policy since then) and they were open for pretty much anything. I asked about a birdseye maple dolphin 5-string with 2 soapbar p-ups instead of the usual p/u configuration and they were fine with doing it. If you were interested in a SS2 6-string(16.5mm spacing) I'm sure they would do it. I have an older catalog of theirs mentioning a SS2 6 as a custom order. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra money. As you can see I love the SS2. :) I too feel the spacing on the SS1 is pretty big. The SS1 6 neck is like a diving board. K Later:D

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Try 20mm at the bridge. :) I don't know the nut spec but judging from pictures it's quite a bit less (though, still on the "wide" side).

Edit: neck width at the nut is 55mm for the wide 6s, as opposed to 52mm for the normal 6s.

It's a heck of a lot thicker at the heel (100mm v. 82mm! :eek: ) than the normal 6 neck - something to think about. (thickness at the nut is the same)

[​IMG]

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    geshel: sorry, i told you i've owned a SSI 5 string.. I know ;)

DM

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    And the Warwick specs are wrong?

20mm spacing at the nut would mean the neck was at least 100mm wide at the nut. That's a pretty big difference from their listed 55mm spec, and at almost 4" the widest 6-string neck I've ever seen (my 12-string Stick neck isn't that wide), not to mention much wider than the picture would indicate (or, if the nut is 4" wide, the bridge is titanic, > 7"). Surely, you're mistaken?