Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streamer stage 2 or Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shri, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Warwick Streamer stage II

50 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Musicman Bongo

38 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I'm about to buy a new bass but i can't decide between the streamer stage 2 and the bongo...Can someone who has tried both give me his advice???

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oo, thats a nice poll. I havent played the Bongo so i wont vote but people say its really nice. What type of tone you going for?

3. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :D thx!
    i love both sounds actually... i can't decide... i love incubus and red hot so both are great basses for me. I was very impressed by the bongo but also the streamer stage 2 is a killer bass. Of course the sound is different...i usually play more metal /rock kind of music but i also love the red hot chilli peppers and really like the musicman pickups sound.
    But i think the streamer stage 2 is much more versatile and i'm also looking for deep lows. I might get the 5 string version.
    But as i often like to play system of a down, incubus music or just metal rock with my band, i fear that the MM might not be good for that.

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I voted Bongo. I love the sound outta that thing, and the looks too, it's just too bad it wasn't the most comfy thing to play, in my experience.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well....I voted, even though I am clearly biased in that I would not play a Warwick for love nor money and I own two Bongos.

Keeping in mind that there is something about Warwicks I detest (well, EVERYTHING about Warwicks, really), I do honestly think that the Bongo, especially the dual humbucker version, is versatile enough to work in any type of music. I’ve strung one Bongo with TI Powerbass and it is really an aggressive, slap-happy modern sounding bass. The other is strung with DR Fat Beams at the moment, and is more useful for traditional rock and blues. I may string the Bongo 5 up with flats, but that’s my own sickness.

6. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    keep in mind also that bongos look like toilet seats!:D

7. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :D LOL !! yeah the look is ....different than what we are used to but ... i'm more looking for a great sound, even if the shape is not so good. the first time i saw the bongo i was pretty shocked too but then i started to like the shape. :)

8. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

That's a tough one... I own a Thumb (have played the streamer)...but I just played a bongo today. The setup was horrible, and the bass is still fugly...no matter how you look at it (can you say toilet seat!), but it has some killer tones. This was a 4 string with dual humbuckers. It had the sweepable mids as well...and I was able to get all sorts of great tones. I can't say that I've played any wicks that I would call versatile...and for overall value...I'd say go for the bongo!

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    umm... interesting... I don't care about the design actually but i remember the very good the bongo had when i played it. But as i can get the streamer stage2 at almost the same price as the bongo, i'm hesitating... and i love the warwick sound a lot too. Well, i have to test them again i think... lol

10. Streamer owns all.

11. Bongo should be a better value - it has much cheaper materials. Like the basswood body, same body wood that Fender Squiers are made out of.

12. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    lol ! i don't care about the value too because they cost almost the same for me (a bit more for the streamer but not much). taxes are more expensive for the musicman than for the streamer as warwick is made in germany (next to france).

13. Chaputa

Warwicks have a great tone, but the Bongo has much more useful tones... but I'm thinking that the different pickup configs could make a big difference as well. I played one w/ the 2 big alnico humbuckers. I still have to say how blown away I was at the different tones that I could get out of it. Best MM by far!

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I agree ! i tested the two humbuckers version too and i wanted to order one immediately! lol ! the streamer has a more classic sound, less impressive i think. But for rock/metal...i don't know if the MM would fit...:confused:

15. Chaputa

Well...I have a hot-rodded Thumb. I special ordered it w/ the 3-band eq, and hated it. I only used the passive. Nice tone, but very limited in what it can do. I've somewhat recently threw an OBP-3 in it, and it came alive, but its still a warwick, and still has the fundamental tone of a wick. It's kind of a one trick pony. It does it well, mind you, but its very limited. I think what's important in a band is the ability to make your presence known. To cut through the mix, and I think either will work well for that.

...but when you want to do anything other than that...the 'wick may leave you wanting more...which is why I keep buying more basses.

4 down...possibly 2 more tonight!

...its an illness with no cure!

16. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    That's what i feared.... then i should buy both of them! lol! i used to have a US spector with obp1 in it and i loved the sound but too bright for me (maple + emgs+ obp1). The good thing about the bongo is that you don't have to change anything on it!! (ok maybe the shape...lol)
    I was about to get the four string version of the bongo...is the five one very good and with string spacing not too narrow?

Chaputa, what basses do you own then?? lol! and which one do you prefer?

17. I just got to play a bongo this morning, and I was really impressed with it. it sounded great, I'm still not completely sold on the looks yet, but it had a good variety of tones and played great.

18. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    looks like the bongo is very successful!!! :cool: that's right for the versatile and powerful tone...rather aggressive also and i like that.

19. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    You're a parody of yourself..right? Right?

(I believe squiers are made of alder or agathis, now! so obviously, the alder squiers are better than the Bongos).

20. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Lol! Well...basswood is not a bad wood. Apparently they chose this wood because it sounded the best. :meh: