Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streamer Stage I and II questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, May 12, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Why do people like SSII more than SSI? What basically makes people like SSII more than SSI? Cuz I've read most of these Warwick threads and I see alot of "SSII" more than SSIs.... is SSI worse than SSII? What are the differences?

The only differences I know from SSII and SSI was

1) Different kind of woods (SSI = Flame Maple and SSII = Afzelia(SP?)

2) SSIs I've seen use Bartolini or SD, and SSII uses MEC from what I Saw

3) SSI has a bigger body than SSII

4) SSI has a much bigger string spacing.. (5/6 strings are 20mm and 5/6 for SSII are 16.5mm)

5) SSI uses Soapbars and SSII uses Jazz Style Pickups (????)

but from what I see... I dunno why people like the SSII more... any explaination?

Thanks

DM:D

2. 1) The SSII has a wenge neck, which is kind of the "classic" Warwick sound, while the SSI has maple.

2) The SSII has the nifty yin-yang inlays.

3) The SSI has MECs as well--it's just that the MECs weren't always available in the big soapbar size that the 5's and 6's used (J's are too short for the wide spacing), so they used Barts and then Duncans in those. Now all the models use MECs.

Mike

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Simple. Cause P-Nut plays an SSII!!

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    some people want the same string spacing in a 5 that they have on their 4, which is understandable.

some people have bigger hands.

some people like the sound of maple better than wenge.

i'm going to buy a streamer within the next 6 months, but i don't know which one yet. i'll let you know after i play them all.

jason

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I own a Streamer LX5 bolt on.
    I really am intrested in the Stage I&II series.
    I pretty much love the spacing on my bass but I don't know how Afzelia sounds in comparison to maple.
    also I would rather give up those Yin-Yang inlays, I mean they look nice but I prefer the clean look, just too flashy for me.
    so the question is, can Stage Is be ordered with standard Warwick spacing?
    and
    can Stage IIs be ordered without the inlays?

6. stage II has a hidden neck-thru design, very oo-la-la. i love those inlays too. :cool:

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    hidden neck-thru design??? so what bout the SSI's neck-thru design?

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it isn't hidden. observe.

[​IMG]
    Streamer Stage I

[​IMG]
    Streamer Stage II

the thing with the stage I is that the neck is maple with TINY bubinga stripes, and the body is maple, so the body still has a uniform appearance on the front. the stage II has a wenge/afzalia neck, so were it to not be hidden it would have those dark wenge pieces showing thru.

<dreaming of having a stuart zender copy stage I - the white one with blue LED's. droooool.>

jason

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    and this is bad because???

10. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    good call!

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    -______-; but seriously.. get back to the topic :D

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i don't like it. it's like a super surprise when you show people the other side of the bass and they go "whoa nellie"

jason

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    wouldn't you prefer them to go "whoa nellie"
    when they first see your bass?

and anyway, I (yes, myself) like to see the neckthrough strips of wood, I just love strips and thats it, but wouldn't I pick the more comfortable guitar to me even if it has the strips showing only on the back and it has those cheesy funny-looking yin-yang inlays? yes, but I still would have preferd it to look the way I want (hmm...I hear they have a custom shop..."shwink shwink!").

14. I think the hidden neck joint feature has more to do with tone than looks. Since the bridge and pickups are in contact with the afzelia body, instead of the wenge/ovangkol neck, more of the (presumably) desirable tone of the afzelia comes through.

15. Not really.

First, the mounting screws for the bridge are farther apart than the width of the neck, so the bridge is screwd into the body sides whether the neck is "hidden" or not.
    Second, it's highly questionable that the pickup mounting screws being screwed into one type of wood or another has any significant effect on tone--if it did, folks would be a lot more concerned about whether there were springs vs. foam padding under the pickups to push them up, since the pickups make a lot more contact with that.

Third, I've often heard of wenge mentioned as a tonewood, but never heard afzelia mentioned--I'm pretty sure it's mostly chosen for looks.

Mike

16. Hunh. In their "user manual" Warwick claims that afzelia is used because it has more lows and a fuller midrange than maple.

In any case, even the guy from Limp Bizkit claims that he gets bigger lows out of an SS2 than an SS1, so there's obviously some tonal difference.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ...because of the difference in wood, not neck joint.-

18. Yes, there is--you've got one bass that's essentially solid maple. You've got another bass that's got a wenge neck, and a darker, more open hardwood (afzelia) for the body sides.

I would not be surprised if afzelia had more lows and fuller midrange than maple--maple's pretty "one dimensional" and not very deep as a body wood, to my ears, so it wouldn't take much. (Something like mahogany would accomplish the same thing, but wouldn't look as nice.) But the different neck wood is making rather more difference, since wenge has a very distinctive deep, growly sound. The "hidden neck joint" is making little or no difference, tonally.

Mike

19. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I agree with Angus, I think its the wood they use not the neck joint.. they ARE both Neckthrus :p