1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Streamer Stage I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBastard, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Right, so I'm not too happy with the sound I'm getting from my warwick...but I gotta admit I'm fairly ignorant so maybe the problem is me or something can be done.

First I'm gonna describe my setup and what I don't like about the sound. It's a 5 string with the standard MEC electronics. the strings I'm currently using are d'addario exl170-5 and the action is very low.

The sound problem is common to various rigs and PA's (warwick, hartke, swr...) and basically it's too dry and thin in the upper register...it has a lot of punch in the lows and mids but it's like a dry punch, not round how I'd like it to be (I'm having a hard time describing this in english hehe). If I had to guess I'd say the first thing to change would be the strings...can you suggest some to try solve this problem?

The second thing would probably be the electronics. Can something be done to the MEC's other than tweaking the knobs? lol ...I have to learn about frequencies to know what preamp to search too...do you know where can I learn about this?

Could a compressor help? ...Raising the action? I know it's a lot of different questions but maybe someone can help! I'd like to keep this bass because I love the playability and the looks :cool: but that's not everything...

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Can you liken a "wet" punch as oppsed to a "dry" punch to a particular bass? Otherwise I don't know what you mean! :cool:

3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    for reference, a SS1.

Sounds good to me, but yeah, not that fat.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I put Nordstrand Big Splits and an Aguilar OBP-3 in mine. That sorted the sound right out... the black hardware helped too ;)

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd try raising the action a little, 'cause that sometimes seems to me to give the tone a little more "meat" than lower action. Besides, it's a cheap, easy thing to try. :)

Mike

6. hey, thanks for the answers! Here's some reference sounds:

here's the sound I'm getting now:

I know one is slap and the other is mainly fingerstyle but I think you can get an ideia. I'm getting the feeling the strings and electronics have a lot to do with it though...what do you think? I think I'll try DR's fat beams (it has 'fat' in its name...lol) what do you think?

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I saw that dude (Stefano) with a Yamaha BB3000MA and he sounded very similar to this.Its mostly in his hands,he's got the groove also.:)

Also,try thicker strings.If you'r using .40 try .45 or .50.

8. yap...I saw it too! great player :) I can get a similar tone but thinner. I use .45 gauge...I could try .50 but maybe the strings has something to do with it too. I mean the brand and so...

9. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    i have a stage 2 and found the same thing. i now have a medium set of GHS Pressurewounds on the G and D and the light set on E and A. That made enough of a difference for me not to gut the bass, as I now like the sound i'm getting very much. have you thought about an outboard pre?

10. hmm nop...not a bad ideia but I think I'll try some different strings first...maybe that's the solution. And raising the action a bit!

11. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    back off the amp's treble a little.