Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streamer Stage II or Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jul 24, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Which one would you go for- WARWICK STREAMER STAGE II 5string or SPECTOR NS5CRFM?

The Neck is the most impotant thing for me.

Which has the smallest neck & String spacing?

Which sounds better? in your opinion

Sadly i will never get a chance to in store demo one of thses basses as none of the shops i know of stock them, but i'm thinking of getting one online.

2. I have a Warwick Thumb and a Spector 5. the Spector neck is slimmer and feels better.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Seems like an unfair comparison, because the SSII is also about twice the price or more! Maybe you should be comparing an SSII and a US NS-5?

4. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    is there even a question?

SSII

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i second that...

i've never played a US spector, so if THAT was the comparison i wouldn't know. but a czech vs. my bass? :D

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    US Spector.

'nuff said!

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well...i have the czechtor, and i don't even feel the need to try out a streamer...

is the SSII much more expensive then the NSCR? the czechs are great values, too. don't forget about that.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SSII 5 lists for $3799. Much closer to a USA Spector than a Czech.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :eek:

crikey!

yep, in that range, it's a test against the US spector and the warwick ssII (if throwin' down big bucks is your thing, that is).

10. Too bad it's a fiver you're looking for! I'm selling my SSD NS-4p (should have pics soon) for $2200 OBO. (I have major GAS for a Zon 8 stringer).

I'd take a spector over any of the Warwicks nowadays. I didn't think there could be a difference (between old warwicks and new ones) until I played mthoople's 91 thumb at our get together last week. It blew away every warwick I've ever played. Matt told me that they started making them by machine, and now the quality has gone down.

~Ad

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Seems like the SSI and the US Spector would sound more similar (than the SSII), with the maple construction and all.

Having said that, I'd go for the SSII over either. :)

12. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    stage 2 is like the best bass ever made

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That wouldn't happen to be because P-Nut and Dirk Lance play it, would it? ;)

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

:rolleyes:

and the pigs fly...

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    It says in your profile that you have a Warwick custom... I didn't know Warwick did that.

16. They sure do! If you want a bass, like Stuart Zender's, with a chrome plated body for example, it can be done, but it will cost you.
    Also, some of the bigger German music stores seem to sell exclusive, limited run Warwicks made by the Custom Shop, every now and then. I've seen an all maple (body, neck, fingerboard) Thumb MM (Maple Monster) in ads for a store whose name I can't remember at the moment, to name one. Reasonably priced, as well.

17. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Good deal ! I wasn't aware. I've always like the sound, just not the neck...Chrome plated would work out nicely too:)

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    in their latest catalog they have 4 pages devoted to their "custom shop." supposedly you can now get any bass with a swamp ash or mahogany body with an assortment of very nice looking tops. doublenecks, different fingerboards, etc...

the catch is, i've never seen any price info on these customs. i suppose i could get a quote on something to see for myself but if it's the same kind of factory vs. custom shop price difference that are with fenders i can imagine they'd be $$$

19. The Swedish distributor Flaa Music has a price list (in Swedish only, obviously), and I must say that the prices for different wood combinations, number of strings, scale lenghts, finishes et c, aren't that unreasonable. The Fender Custom Shop being a different story.
    But, if you want your new neck through Thumb to be encased in chrome, you will have to pay about as much as you do for a Fodera.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON!!!!

you're right - those prices aren't so bad. (if my currency conversion is correct at 10 Kronor to about 1.06 USD.) but also - it seems like you guys get the basses for about 15% cheaper than we do. but still - even with that factored in it's a pretty good deal.