Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streamer Stage II vs TRB5PII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mclaud, Feb 4, 2003.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Just to know your opinion!!

Warwick Streamer Stage II vs Yamaha TRB5PII

2. I'd go with the streamer stage II. I am not normally real into warwicks for some reason but that bass really rock. it is by far my favorite warwick, it has a great feel and awesome tone.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    You decide

These two basses are from totally different worlds... you can't just ask which one is better

Here are the biggest differences from the two

1) Streamer Stage II = Afzelia Body
    Yamaha TRB5PII = Ash Body

2) Streamer Stage II = Wenge Board
    Yamaha TRB5PII = Ebony Board

3) Streamer Stage II = 7 Piece Afzelia/Wenge Neck
    Yamaha TRB5PII = 5 Piece Maple/Mahogany Neck

4) Streamer Stage II = MEC Js and MEC Preamp
    Yamah TRB5PII = YAMAHA Soaps and YAMAHA Preamp IIRC

5) Streamer Stage II will have a narrower string spacing (16.5mm)

now these factors will totallly change the sound on each bass.. I think the SSII would weigh more, but I've heard that the TRB5PIIs can be heavy as well.

Its all about your personal preference on the neck/body weight/balance/looks/feel everything.. try both them out.. then choose yourself

:D

DM

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have tried both these basses and for me the new TRB5P won very easily as the better of the two - but the reasons why are very much a personal thing and I would say that you have to try each before making up your mind.

I like the sound of the Warwick, but could not get on with the neck shape at all and found the TRB5P much more to my taste - this TRB also has piezos in the bridge and has very versatile tone-shaping.

But the big difference is the neck - so the TRB is wide and flat - giving good string spacing for plucking and popping under each strings. Whereas, for me the Warwicks (ones you can buy now) are just too thick from front to back to be playable - they make my wrist ache afte a about 20 mins of playing - whereas the TRB feels very comfortable : although wider, the neck is very thin front to back, meaning less stretch for me. And I will say I don't have small hands - although my fingers aren't long and thin but rather large all over (stubby!!).

But anyway - my big point is that the differences are very much down to how comfortable it feels to you and I think this is a good example of why you must try basses before buying - the Warwick would have been a very expensive mistake for me - great bass, but just an unplyable neck for me....maybe not for you, but without trying you'll never know!