Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

streamer standard vs. rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Nov 19, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    There has been a lot said about the RockBass and the Streamer Standard (both by Warwick)...believe me - i've read dozens of threads.

What do you think is the better bass?

also - can someone explain GAS to me????

thanks,
    erik

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    have nothing nice to say about Warwick basses - so I won't say anything!

However, GAS is a problem that most bass players suffer from. It is Gear Acquisition Syndrome, for which there sadly is no cure!;)

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I recently tried a Rock Bass, they are ok for the money. I would suggest they you look for a second hand Streamer Std (the older model with the ovangkol neck).

4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    thanks for the GAS definition. I knew it was something like that but could not figure it out on my own.

last week i played a rockbass in NY and i liked it - had never heard of this line before.

i was close to buying a 5 string for $520, but then i found a 5 string streamer standard on ebay and got it for $510.

i figured i got a good deal but then i started researching all the comments here - which are not in favor of the SS.

I'm sure i'll like it, will complement my American JAzz Deluxe nicely. And i'm thinking that pretty much anything will sound good out of my ampeg svt3 & 610hlf.

but it's odd that no one has had too much negative stuff to say about the rock bass - and so many negative comments about the SS.

i figured i'd ask.

-erik

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    out of all the reviews I've read for the Rockbass range, they all rate the Corvette over the Streamer. (I also happen to think it looks nicer too).
    I once tried out a streamer standard, when I was ordering my 5string thumb. The shop only had a 4 string thumb, but I tried out a 5 string streamer standard, just so I could try the neck profile. one word...neckdive. i have never played a guitar so neck heavy.
    I also have a corvette standard fretless. this has perfect balance. it might be worth looking for one of these second hand.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    don't worry about hype! if you like it then play it don't worry about what other people think as long as it gives you your tone. i personally don't care for the rock basses, because they don't give me the sound i am looking for...