1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Streamliner 900... How Loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have always wanted to try a gb Streamliner 900. I am running a fEARful 12/6 +12sub stack. I do find I need a fairly loud amp as it seems I push my amps pretty hard. Tonally, I think I'll dig it as its been described as warm and smooth which is totally my thing. I guess my main concern is volume as genz benz amps I have owned previously (shuttle 6.0 and shuttlemax 6.0) seem on the quiet side for their wattage ratings.

So, how loud are these amps?

2. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Loud, don't be afraid to push it into the 3pdm if you need to. I got crazy loud pushing a couple acme 12s which are less sensitive than your cabs. Should be a great matchup!

3. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Loud, not the loudest 900 watt head. If you want loud get the Orange TB1000. 1000 watts at 4 or 8, simple to use and fat as hell. The Orange TB heads are well received in the GreenBoy fan club.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've heard alot of great things about the Orange TB1000 too, but I just cant deal with that form factor.

I should mention that I need clean loud, not overdriven tube loud.

5. 313

313 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Central PA
    I ran this very setup for a while (Streamliner 900 into 12/6 and 12 Sub). I played in a few large venues, and never had to push the 900 very hard at all. As I recall, gain at about 1:00, Master at about 11:00. This setup will get very loud!

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting. What made you move from that rig onto something else?

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Pretty loud - mine had no trouble keeping up in my former loud 2 guitar rock band, and will probably get louder than my M-pulse 600 - although I've never had to push either very hard, since I pair them up with big 4 ohm cabs...

Also not a problem - that's exactly what I go for, since I'm not into overdriven sound, either...

- georgestrings

8. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    In my opinion the Tecamp Puma 900 is a much better amp. Pricey, though.
    Feels a hellava lot more powerful 900 watts than the Genz.

Clean, detailed and leaning more to warm than dry and clinical.

9. tminus10

tminus10 On a mission from God Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle
    When I ran mine with my Bergantino CN212 it was very loud but not 900 watts loud it seemed and didnt care for the amp/cab pairing. With one Berg NV115, liked the tone better but I had the gain and volume at 1 o'clock and the master dimed and it was barely loud enough at practice in a small room.

I realize a 1x15 can only get so loud, especially compared to a very efficient 2x12, but I feel I shouldn't have had to crank it up that much.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carvin BX1500 would be a nice choice. A pair of amps gives you 450w @ 4ohms each or 300w @ 8 ohms each. Separate volume knobs for each amp and an active crossover to direct desired frequencies to your sub/full range. If you want to run in bridge mode, it's 1500w @ 4 oms. Crazy power and features for the price.

I have a 12" 3-way and a 12" sub with my BX1200 and it kicks ass. Seems complicated but once you get used to it, piece of cake.

:bassist:

11. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I'm local, I've got one and I would be interested in hearing the Fearful cabs.
    PM me if you want to set up a quick GTG.

12. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Not wishing to start up the old valves vs transistor debate, in my experience, the Streamliner 900 is only as loud as 200 tube watts.

13. GK Breivik

GK Breivik

Apr 23, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Well, the SVT is 300, and the Streamliner is noricably louder thru the same cab. Stays cleaner too, if you want it to. Great little amp, if a tad round and mid shy. If you're careful with that bass control, this voicing actually works to your benefit with the fEarfuls, as they are very hot n the upper mids.

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So why say it?

Watts are watts.

15. Torin,

I spent a little time with a Streamliner and my old 15/6. Would have been able to do 90% of my gigs with that set up. (but I also run a 3000 watt amp into a '66 so my needs are not normal.)

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Knowing that you dig the GK minis it's hard for me to imagine the Streamliner will scratch your itch. My guess is that you'll spend some time using the complicated eq to "undo" most of its' baked in flavor to get better note definition. That was my experience. Let us know your opinion if you audition it.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    That hasn't been my experience...

I haven't tried any fEARfuls, but have A/B'd my Streamliner 900 up to an SVT thru the same cabs, and have experienced the same thing... I also gained some midrange presence by swapping a 5751 in the V1 position...

- georgestrings

Up the dose likes this.
  18. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I'm running a 900 with those two cabs. I haven't gigged the CN yet but I feel like I could melt the cab if I cranked the amp. It could have easily blown the AE210.

I've gigged small rooms and once outdoors with the NV with volume to spare. Admittedly (and proudly) we don't play at baby killing volume.:D I love this pairing.

I treat the gain button like a pad switch rather than a gain boost and leave it in most of the time. The master rarely goes above noon. The streamliner is my favorite amp so far but I can understand why some people don't like it.

Edit: It's been noted by many including agedhorse IIRC that the 6.0 is voiced to not blow up the original shuttle 110 and 112 cabs. Not so with the .2's and streamliner.

19. 313

313 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Central PA
    I sold the fEarful cabs since I had a pair of Baer ML112s that I really liked. No regrets there as I'm very happy with the Baer cabs. I do regret selling my Streamliner though... I will eventually get another. I'm currently running either a Walkabout or BB750.

20. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    I've run mine through a variety of cabs, and never been left wanting for volume, save the times when I didn't carry enough cab for the gig. I'm pretty sure that with the fEARful rig you're running, you'll be fine.