Streamliner 900 vs GK 1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Has anybody compared these side by side? How do the volumes compare? I would guess the tones are rather different.

2. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    they're pretty comparable in terms of power.
    they're very different in terms of tone.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

I've owned both, and agree with the above...

- georgestrings

4. Yeah, I figured they were different in tone. I hear the Streamliner as a more Rock tone, but the GK is versatile.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I think that depends on your idea of "rock".

The Streamliner is much more pillowy - round and fat with some scoop to the mids and smooth highs.

The 1001RB-II is much more immediate, sharp and present in the high mids/low treble.

FWIW, the GK IS much more versatile, but when I had both a Streamliner and a GK MB800 (not exactly the same tonally as the 1001RB-II but close) I could get the Streamliner to sound closer to the GK than I could get the GK to sound like the Streamliner. That big, fat low end couldn't really be EQ'd in.

Just to show how different these amps are, the "GK setting" on the Streamliner had the lows rolled way back (9 or 10 o'clock), the mids cranked (3 o'clock or more) on the 2.5 kHz setting and the treble boosted significantly (a bit past 1 o'clock if I remember correctly) to approximate the GK set relatively flat.

6. Are you saying you prefer the Streamliner then? Thanks so much for your detailed response.

7. I haven't followed gear closely in a while. Has there been any reliability concerns with the Streamliner amps?

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I definitely did, since I kept the Streamliner and sold the G-K... IMO, the Streamliner does the "all tube amp" thing better than most every other hybrid on the market(except the M-pulse 600, BB 750, or Walkabout), whereas the G-K is unmistakeably an SS amp... I'm not saying that's a bad thing in any way - but *I* prefer tube sound...

FWIW, I've owned (2) 700rb-IIs, a 100rb-II, and both the Streamliner 600 and 900, besides the BB750, and the M-pulse 600... I've also owned a ton of others, but those are relevant to the topic at hand...

- georgestrings

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I liked them both. I think it really depends on the application.

For hard rock I'd take the GK. For classic rock, probably the Streamliner.

My real hope with the Streamliner was that it would be a higher powered Walkabout with some modern features added.

It didn't quite hit that mark as the Walkabout has some a lot of midrange complexity that the STM900 doesn't.

I think I've been the exception but I had a bad fuse and had a preamp tube go out in mine in the first year. This was before Genz Benz was bought by Fender and the customer service was great. I can't speak to how it is now. That said, I've seen much fewer issues with Streamliners on TB than many other micros I can think of.

10. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I have them both. Equally loud give or take- that's all they have in common. GK much more mid present, fast, punchy, and articulate. Streamliner much bigger down low, warmer, tubey. Streamliner lacks mid clarity and articulation in live settings (IME) which is where the GK shines. Both great amps, but very very different....

11. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Streamliner:
    I couldn't control the low end. If you had sealed cabs, that might help. I could also not get my bass to sound like it had roundwounds on it. Very fail, for me. I used it for one set live, and swapped it out; sold it the next day.

GK: plug and play; for me.

12. Fair enough. Thanks for your feedback. Cutting the bass control didn't help?

13. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    not for me and my thing, nope

14. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I second that Chef. I still use it for my rehearsal studio and fight it every rehearsal. And yes, I understand the "complex eq", which I never thought was complex. Great thud, huge bottom, very loud, not an amp I would ever gig again.....

15. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm just me though; plenty of guys really love the SL900

16. Everything seems to have been covered pretty well. I will say that power wise, they were alot different IME. I play in a two guitar band that gets loud and the Streamliner would start clipping very early (prob a respectable volume for any normal person). But I needed more, and I wasn't getting it. However, the 1001, haha. So much headroom. Based on pure tone, I personally fell in love with GK recently. I prefer solid state, but even the fusion sounds incredible. The Gk has that solid state quickness. The opposite of that pillowy tone mentioned above. However, I did find I could get a somewhat convincing tube sound with the Boost knob and EQ. (Well, I do use a comp,so) Overall, my vote goes to the 1001, all the way. And it could be had for almost half the price used.

Note: I went through alot of "micro" heads. Markbass, TecAmp, GenzBenz,Orange, Ampeg portaflex. Maybe a few more. The Gk was the first "led sled" that I owned in recent years. Some of those little guys put out great volume and tone. But the power section in the GK 1001 is just outstanding.

17. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've owned both and prefer the GK. the Streamliner was a cool amp, just not quite for me. I also own a Walkabout and I think it does the tube sound better for what like. Obviously the WA is larger, heavier, and less wattage though...so not exactly comparable.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Streamliners is they can be picky with cab choice. If you've got something with big low end they may not mesh all that well. Big low end on the amp and big low end on the cab might be too much of a good thing.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021