1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Streamliner 900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2string1, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Is there anyone out there that likes the streamliner 900?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D There are probably a dozen threads and thousands of posts regarding this amp.

In summary... it is a very 'love it or hate it' sort of piece of gear. It has a unique voice, very wide, smooth, deep and tubey. I found it to sound great with cabs that tend to sound great with all tube heads (i.e., cabs with a very controlled low end and a nice dose of upper midrange, like classic sealed 10 cabs. With some more full range cabs, it got a bit too 'loose and flubby' for me personally.

If you are looking for an old school, somewhat 'all tube' tone, and enjoy the sound of a sealed multi 10 cab, it is pretty darn amazing. For everything else, the Shuttle Max 9.2 is the thing (tight, punchy, articulate, full range, massive EQ).

I very much liked mine with the tight and bright Bergantino AE410, but had less luck with other cabs.

3. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Used it with and ampeg 810 loved it.

Acme Flatwound Stack- Amazing

Bag end Sd15 stack - great

CN212- Fantastic

MAS 210 Flex - phenomenal

Cabs with a controlled low end work the best. It is my go to amp for a passive P or PJ style bass. It recently did a bit of tube rolling and couldn't be happier.

That being said it doesn't really do the modern precise thing. I have a GK MB800 coming for that. The StreAmliner has it's own vibe, and does what it does very well. Some people prefer the jack of all trades, master of none approach. I lean towards the other camp. Luckily I have the funds and a wife that allows me to have more than one head.

4. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    *raises hand*

5. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Do you use it with the gain button engage or out?

6. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I use mine with the Gain button OUT,.. I play mostly passive basses and i have plenty of gain with the button out.. I dont usually use OD.. but when i do it will be a pedal like the Vintage Micro tubes.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Gain button in, but with a 5751 tube in the V1 slot - that made a really nice difference for me...

- georgestrings

8. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Cool I have a 5751 GE 5 star black plate in the V1. Does in make any differences changing the V2 and V3 tube. I know there many pages on this topic but I got very tired trying to read them all. Edit:just thinking, what is the purpose of putting in a lower gain tube in and then boosting the gain back up with the button?