1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Streamliner w/ Uber 212T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garryH, Aug 26, 2012.

1. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    Has anyone tried this matchup?

I play in 2 straight ahead classic rock bands, i.e AC-DC to ZZ Top with some SRV, Zep, etc., very guitar oriented rock.

Would it work in that situation. I play either my P'Bass or my Jazz, depending on my mood. :)

TIA!

2. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Always check with Ed Friedland first:

3. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    Yeah, I've watched that several times... Ed is a great player. Sometimes I think he could make any amp sound good. In fact, that video is what inspired me to consider that combination. I love the sounds he's getting out of it.

4. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    Anyone but Ed play this combination? :)

5. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I have played this combination, I played it two weeks ago. whadda ya wanna know? I played a medium sized room approx 1400 sq feet, with a controlled but hard hitting drummer, marshal half stack, Keys/synth, Vox, and tracks. I had about 10 or so feet to the back wall, dance floor in front, tables on side, bar on back wall. The rig was more than enough for adequate stage volume. With the streamliner gain button in, Gain @1 volumt @ 11, Bass @ 9, Mids at 10 @ 220Hz, treble @ noon, Master at noon. Some adjustments were made but mostly on my bass. On a sparse song I cut the 2.5K to not be so aggressive in the mix. I was playing a Nordy Jazz and a Stingray both with maple fb. and a Nordy with a Wenge 1P Neck.

6. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    While I don't have a Streamliner, I do have the Uber 212 and it sounds great with several heads that I've played through it. Our band also plays the same type stuff (AC/DC, ZZ Top, SRV) and the uber really does well with that type of sound. IMO as long as you like the Streamliner then the Uber should be a good fit.

Oh, and I use a P or J bass as well

7. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    I guess from some of what I have read on here, there was talk of the STM being too "boomy", "low endy" (?), but it seemed those comments were from folks who wanted a more "modern" sound. Also, some similar comments about the 212 Uber.

The clubs I play in are small to medium size (75-200 people), and like I said we are straight ahead classic rock.

So I guess, (1) ... would this be a good classic rock bass combination, and (2) would it be overkill for that style and the size of the rooms I am in?

Thanks!

8. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Well, I think you answered your own question. It's not the amp that makes you sound good...

It's not going to be overkill, just turn it down.

It's an expensive cab. GK's NEO cabs are less expensive, although GB stuff is top notch.

Consider a Markbass Little Mark III through a GK NEO cab. It would at least give a good comparison and you'd save $300-500 at least.

9. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    Well yeah, ya got me there boris!

10. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    I have investigated the LittleMark III, but not the GK Neo.

I found a good deal on the Uber 212, $775.00 shipped, new, but floor model.

I'm in no rush, so I do want to check out other possibilities.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd think it would do very well for that situation. I have no experience with the Uber cabs, but the STR does great with a P bass and I can imagine it doing equally well with a J bass.

12. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    May wanna try the Neox....just sold off a mini-warehouse of accumulated Eden,Aguilar, SWR and now have only the Streamliner and 2 Neox 112Ts. (Hopefully) I done and done

Course part of the motivation is age and weight....but damn do they sound good and the band is very happy w me all of a sudden

13. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    I've read good things about the Neox ... and agree the weight is a definite factor. LOL at the mini-warehouse. I have one too. But not quite as nice as yours was.

14. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I Spent a few hours / gigs with this combo. Generally speaking, I find the GB cabs to be some of the most well sorted out mass-market cabinets out there.

This combo is going to be deep, bassy and ridiculously loud.

15. garryH

garryH

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks for your input pablomigraine.