1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Street Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stu, Aug 17, 2000.

1. During a recent visit to London, I found myself wondering through Covent Garden, when I heard an excellent street entertainer, not the usual comedian or Staute type but a Bass Player and the lad could really play well, he accompanied himself with just a Squire Jazz Bass, he played mainly chords but with some nice slap bass also. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but his accent seemed to be American - anyway just thought I'd share this experience. Anyone seen anything similar ?

Stu

2. I´ve never seen bassists! In fact I haven´t seen any street entertainers on Iceland 'cuz it´s illegal!

But in Denmark I saw all kinds of street entertainers... Guitarists, singers, percussionists, flute players... many more.. I even gave money to a "bloody hell cool" guitarist.

3. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Isn't there a somewhat famous street bassist in New York? I thought I read about him not too long ago.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that would be Ed KungFuqua! :D

Street musicians...they're one of the things I miss about my very brief time in Nawlins & Georgetown.

47th Street likes this.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think Frost means Rob Turley (I hope that's the right name). The guy's been arrested because he didn't have a "street performer's permit" although there's no such thing. He plays the Santucci Treblebass, which is a pretty creepy instrument.

Will C.:cool:

6. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Yeah, that name sounds familiar. For some reason, they were hassling him, but not the other street musicians. See, bass players get no respect....:)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A strange run of coincidences for me - there are a regular group of Peruvians or at least it sounds like music from the Andes - who play on the streets of Brighton (UK). They started with traditional instruments - pan pipes, acoustic guitars etc. But I just noticed the other day that they must have been doing well as one of them had got a new electric instrument, which on closer inspection, was some sort of Ibanez bass, Soundgear I think!

47th Street likes this.