Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Street Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stu, Aug 17, 2000.

1. During a recent visit to London, I found myself wondering through Covent Garden, when I heard an excellent street entertainer, not the usual comedian or Staute type but a Bass Player and the lad could really play well, he accompanied himself with just a Squire Jazz Bass, he played mainly chords but with some nice slap bass also. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but his accent seemed to be American - anyway just thought I'd share this experience. Anyone seen anything similar ?

Stu

2. I´ve never seen bassists! In fact I haven´t seen any street entertainers on Iceland 'cuz it´s illegal!

But in Denmark I saw all kinds of street entertainers... Guitarists, singers, percussionists, flute players... many more.. I even gave money to a "bloody hell cool" guitarist.

3. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Isn't there a somewhat famous street bassist in New York? I thought I read about him not too long ago.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that would be Ed KungFuqua! :D

Street musicians...they're one of the things I miss about my very brief time in Nawlins & Georgetown.

47th Street likes this.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think Frost means Rob Turley (I hope that's the right name). The guy's been arrested because he didn't have a "street performer's permit" although there's no such thing. He plays the Santucci Treblebass, which is a pretty creepy instrument.

Will C.:cool:

6. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Yeah, that name sounds familiar. For some reason, they were hassling him, but not the other street musicians. See, bass players get no respect....:)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A strange run of coincidences for me - there are a regular group of Peruvians or at least it sounds like music from the Andes - who play on the streets of Brighton (UK). They started with traditional instruments - pan pipes, acoustic guitars etc. But I just noticed the other day that they must have been doing well as one of them had got a new electric instrument, which on closer inspection, was some sort of Ibanez bass, Soundgear I think!

47th Street likes this.